Laptop fan rarely goes off

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hashim

I searched the site for an answer but could not find one.

Specs: Windows XP, 80 GB HD, Dell Inspiron 15160 Laptop, Pentium (4) 3.2 GHz, 1 GB of RAM.

I got this laptop 11/04. Lately, the fan seems to always be running except when in sleep mode (or turned off :cool: ) I downloaded SpeedFan 4.25 from download.com. It says it found ACPI temperature of 56.5C. CPU usage is low.

I don't have a clue as to why the fan is always running. It is located on the bottom of the laptop. I cleaned so there is no dust on the fan and raised the laptop up so it can 'breathe' but the fan still keeps running.

Any thoughts? Or, what should the temperature be? Can I change any settings to ensure I meet this?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

Well at 56C it better be running. :eek: Your intel chip had a prescott core and runs hot. :eek: If your fan wasn't running your chip would reach a temp limit where it would slow down the chip. Be thankful your fan still runs. ;)

You have a laptop with a "desktop" CPU in it.
There is limited ability to displace the extreme heat from such a CPU apart from the fan.

Check your power settings, the chip should be able to "speed step" to a lower clock speed automatically unless the full speed is needed, that saves on heat.

It is really never a good idea to have fast CPUs in laptops, overheating is always a problem.

The 51xx series Dell laptops have a known history of overheating problems, just look to Google for more background.

Sounds a problem I noticed on mine that a can of dust off solved.
Stepping sounds reasonable which sometimes the vendors first shipping BIOS don't have as default so if the BIOS got reset. . .

hashim

Questions:
56 C is considered high or normal?
How do I check my power settings to look at the fan?

Thank you for the tips, I guess with only one fan it needs to stay cool...any suggestions or I just have to live with it?...

My laptop also just had a desktop CPU shoved in it. Recently the fan seemed to be running for more and more of the time, until finally it was running at full power all the time (very annoying). It was still in warranty, so i sent it off to some repair centre. They said they cleaned a LOT of dust and fluff and stuff off the fan (or perhaps heatsink, but whatever). Anyway, it is now back to running occasionally as when new (except of course when it's under heavy load, like playing games). So perhaps this could be the problem? Do you have a lot of fluffy cats?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online