1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop fan removal and installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crsaj, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

My laptop intermitently reboots without warning. It just suddenly shuts down and reboots sometimes every 5 - 10 minutes and other times I can run for an hour before it does this. I believe it may have something to do with the fan since it makes a lot of noise at the initial boot up and then quiets down. Other times it can get noisy. I would like to replace the fan and see if this resolves the problem. Where can I find specific instructions to walk me through this? Thanks

2. iworld

iworld

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Are there any sites specific to a HP Notebook for fan replacement?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since no two laptops are exactly the same (unless they're the exact same model), for specifics, you'd need to find a complete hardware manual for you particular HP model laptop. Very few manufacturers make this information available. You can try a search on HP's site or a general web search for a manual, but ultimately you'll have to give it a good try and just take it apart.

5. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I just ran it for about an hour on battery only without it rebooting. Now I'm wondering if is the battery or there is something else overheating when the power a/c is on. To get to the battery it looks like I need to pull the keyboard off and not sure where to start on that one.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The processor and graphics capabilities are probably throttling down while running on battery to conserve power. It could be a faulty power adapter, though. The battery should be removable directly from the underside of the computer. I've never seen a laptop that required pulling out the keyboard to remove the battery.

7. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Sorry, I met to say to remove the fan will require removing the keyboard. What is a power adapter? Do you agree this problem of rebooting may have something to do with the fan?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The power adapter is the thing that connects the computer to the wall outlet.

I don't know whether or not the fan is the problem.

9. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

Dumb question, but thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice