1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Find Wireless Networkd but Not Mine!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ultimaincubu, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ultimaincubu

ultimaincubu Thread Starter

So this is really strange and bugging me. I have a network setup running four computers (3 laptops connecting wirelessly and 1 connected via ethernet cable). On every laptop except for one I am connected to my router with no issues. However, on one laptop I am unable to detect the wireless network. I have added it manually as well. I am able to see other wireless networks in the area, but not mine! I double checked the router settings to ensure I am broadcasting my SSID and I am doing that. As far as I can see, the wireless card and hardware are working just fine with no issues.

The only difference that I can see being a possibility is that the one laptop having problems is Windows XP while the other two are running Vista. I am using WPA2 Personal and have installed the required KB item from Microsoft on the XP laptop.

Now I have not gone unsecure yet and that is obviously an option to see how things respond. Before doing that though I want to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious or that someone else hasn't come across the problem before. I hope you can help!

2. sporg

sporg

Hi there,

I dont think the problem is to do with the security feature. What I would recoment is to find out who makes the Wireless Network card and see you you can get drivers for it from them. I have had trouble with HP laptops where it has been sorted out by downloading drivers from Intel who make the card.

Regards
    Gary Sparg
    www.tekrevolution.com

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Does the wireless adapter on the problem PC support WPA2?

4. ultimaincubu

ultimaincubu Thread Starter

Yes it does....

So a strange situation with no apparnt cause decides to fix itself....well at least for now. After 5 restarts over 5 hours it suddenly decided it would show my network, connected right away, and good to go. Will be interesting to see if it goes again. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672812