1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop fine, 2nd monitor fine - but no display!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Betrock, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betrock

Betrock Thread Starter

Briefly, I've been using my monitor instead of the laptop screen for over a year now. Everything works fine. Suddenly yesterday the monitor went black! It's actually still functioning on some level but doesn't keep the display. I was doing something on the internet, possibly saving a password in RoboForm, maybe just wandering. There are no error codes or indicators.

'Longly'....
    When I reboot, having previously changed the setting to dual - laptop & monitor, it briefly flashes the Vaio splash screen, then black, then briefly flashes the Windows splash screen. Then black. The laptop screen is fine. I've tried both 'Single Display - Monitor' and 'dual display' - Laptop as Primary; 'dual display' - Monitor as Primary, and in none does the monitor work - laptop screen always works.

If I unplug the VGA output from the laptop, then plug it back in, the monitor briefly (maybe 1-2 seconds) shows the desktop images perfectly! Then black! It seems that everything is actually working just not properly! It's making me crazy. I did try downloading the most current graphics driver from Intel...nothing. The monitor continues to show a green light (indicating that it is receiving a signal). The audio (plugged from the monitor into the front of the laptop by a separate plug) continues to play thru the monitor.

To Recap: Display on 'Monitor only' has worked just fine for a year. Now it won't show any image, yet is receiving the signal. When first plugged in, the monitor displays whatever is on the laptop screen perfectly with no break up or distortion -but only for 1-2 seconds. There are no error codes. Graphics file has been updated.

Any help, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated. (See below for hardware details.)
    If I should post this in a different Forum, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Betrock

OS; Win XP Pro
    Virus: AVG 7.5 Pro
    Popup: AdsGone

Laptop:
    Sony Vaio FS740
    533MHz
    1024MB memory
    Graphics: Mobile Intel 915Gm/G-MS, 910GML Express Chipset Vers 6.14.10.3764
    128MB Dynamically shared memory
    Graphics Out: VGA out w/Smart Display Sensor

Monitor:
    Viewsonic VA700
    17" LCD Flat Screen
    H Freq 80 KHz
    V Freq 75 Hz
    Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Anthing else I should add?

2. Betrock

Betrock Thread Starter

Bump.....still hoping....
    P.S. I DO have a signal! Just no display on monitor.

3. erick295

erick295

Try another monitor or try that one on a different computer... that will tell you where the problem is.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/580299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice