1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop first slowed down then the blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by titoman, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

Allright guys, here is my problem, and i hope you guys can help me....

I have a toshiba satellia M40X laptop... Couple of weeks ago, it all of a sudden realy slowed down... The movies were laggin, and surfin the internet was taking forever and everything was slow, so i decided to format it... But even right after the reformatting, the laptop didn't go back to it's regular speed... it's so bad that the flash games online lag, and i've been playin those games since i got the laptop and they never lagged... Anyways i've been trying to fix the slow problem but today i got the blue screen when i was surfing the internet.. it said;

Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI : Parity check / Memory Parity Check
    ***The system has halted***

Then i just restarted the computer and kept surfing the internet then i got the screen again, but when i restarted this time, the laptop was makin weird noises and the screen never came up, so i restarted again and it worked...
    I did a google search and i ended up finding the windows diagnostics tool, and i'm doing a scan with it right now to see if the ram is damaged... I'll let u guys know what happens with that scan...

Basically i'm a university student and i need to go back to school in a couple of days and i need to fix my laptop for my studies... and i can't buy a new one right now... I'd be so glad if you guys could help me out...

Thanks alot guys...

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Also check that the laptop is not overheating due to a clogged fan. An aerosol can of air up the exhaust dust often works.

If it is temperature related, then the CPU will speedstep down in response to the temperature rise, creating a very slow CPU..

Does the fan actually run?

4. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

hello etaf
    so i did the diagnostics test from the microsoft website... i did the stardard and the extended test about 3-4 times and there was no problems
    About the memory, do u mean in the slots on the side like the sd cards? or under the laptop screwed in something? the only thing i can see is one and it's pretty big just beside the camera, and it's screwed with one screw... should i open that and see what's inside it?

hey kiwiguy...

about the temperature problem, yes i did have that problem.. but i always have it, and i vacuum the fan hole... when it slowed down, i did that, it kinda sped up but not to its regular speed... right now, i checked it with speedfan and it's running at 32 degrees, and it's fairly cool and the fan is working...

In case u guys wanna know, the laptop has Intel Celeron M processor, 1.50 GHz, 502 MB RAM , and Mobile Intel 915 GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family...

Plz let me know if u need me to do anything like hijack logs or such... Thanks for your help...

5. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

can anyone help out plz?

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You say that you started the laptop and it was making weird noises. Since this is a laptop I would suggest this because it is such a real job to take a laptop apart and re-assemble correctly and this is no job for a beginner. I would call Toshiba and find out where they recommend taking it for repair and if it is stil under warranty I would do the same thing. If this computer is making weird noises there is something really wrong and from your first post

Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support
    NMI : Parity check / Memory Parity Check
    ***The system has halted***

This is really telling you some more. I would do the correct thing and believe me you will not be sorry.

7. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

well right now i'm at the stage of taking it apart... it only made the noises once after the blue screen... I used it today for like 6 hours and the blue screen never came up... so i don't know
    i'm taking it apart to remove the memory and reseat again

8. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

so i took apart the laptop and reseated the ram... but the comp was still slow...

and then i got the blue screen again... but this time i've noticed something...

The blue screen shows up when i turn the IE7 off.. when i have like 6 tabs, IE7 sucks the life out of the the laptop... lookin at the task manager, when i click on a link it uses 70-99%... I dont know abuot the first blue screen but the last 2 blue screens happened just when i closed IE7...

Now i'm using the explorer "opera"... The laptop is faster but i don't know if this is the old speed..

Anyone have any idea on this IE7 issue and the blue screen?

I'm gonna unistall IE7 right after i post the reply... just in case

9. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

Allright guys, i think the slowing down problem has been solved.. the laptop is running now that i cleaned the registry, the startup files and unistalled bunch of stuff and IE7

but a minute ago, i got the blue screen again...

i dunno what to do about it... can anyone help out plz???

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Question = Why are you cleaning the registry?

What are you using to clean the registry with?

11. titoman

titoman Thread Starter

i dunno, because they always say clean the registry to speed up the computer... and i thnink it did just that... after all the scans, cleanings, virus checks, startup cleaning... my laptop is back to its old speed after weeks, and i'm so happy... but the blue screen of death refuses to go...

I used winenhance clean registry... then i used ccleaner...

Anyone know why that blue screen might be comin up?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice