1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop flashes black screen, reboots

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RoboNuts08, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RoboNuts08

RoboNuts08 Thread Starter

Hello all and thank you for your time!
    My laptops screen blinks in and out a black screen every time I try to do anything ie: use explorer, search Cortana, browse the web etc. Many times the system will reboot. I've tried malware removal tools but the laptop will reboot before the software is finished scanning. I've tried resetting WIN 10 back to factory all to no avail.

Please help.:)

p.s. The laptop freezes even when I try to use the free SysInfo utlity. Here is what I know:
    Gateway laptop 2010
    WIN 10

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well one thing I can tell ya, is running windows 10 on a 7-8 year old laptop might be part of the issue. But, that's just a guess. What is the model number of this "2010 Gateway laptop?"

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Also advise us what the exact SNID number and serial number is on that 2010-era Gateway laptop.

Once it's correctly identified, we can help you better.

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. RoboNuts08

Model-KAYFO
    SNID-94406058416
    S/N-LXWE8020059440ECA81601

Thank you all. Rob

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well according to the Gateway website , they only have windows 7 drivers available. Generally , that means that they don't recommend installing a different operating system because it hasn't been "tested as compatible" with your specific PC.

Doing some basic research leads me to see that your laptop has the socket PGA478, which is by today's standards obsolete. It's my guess that windows 10 is what's causing the problem because it's simply not supported.

The Core Duo chipset, both in Desktop and Laptop form were "officially" unsupported for Windows 10 because they were/are obsolete.

What sounds like is happening is there's an issue with the graphics chipset and since it's running software which is unsupported, it has issues working correctly.

Frank is very good at finding hardware drivers, so I'm going to see what his recommendation is. If it was me at this point, I would install 7 back onto the computer because that is what it is designed to work with. If you MUST HAVE Windows 10, then I think it's time to purchase a new laptop.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to those SNID and serial numbers, you have a Gateway NV78 model laptop which appears to have originally come with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    What's the exact Windows version on the Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on yours?

That laptop's support site shows it was designed for and has downloadable drivers only for Windows 7.
    But according to the description of the primary devices in it, Windows 10 should provide generic drivers for them.

How exactly was Windows 10 installed in your laptop?
    How long has Windows 10 been running in it?

You might consider purchasing the Window 7 recovery media disc kit for your laptop and getting a fresh start with it.
    If you live in an area where this company ships, you can go HERE to purchase it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. RoboNuts08

Windows-7. WIN10 was installed from the free upgrade Windows did a few years back. WIN10 has been running fine on it since then. I wouldn't mind reverting to WIN7 to solve the problem.

Thanks all

8. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok here's an idea. You may be able to use the factory restore partition, if it's intact to do a full recovery back to windows 7.

Upon pressing the power button, start IMMEDIATELY tapping the F8 key. See if it brings you to a menu with recovery options. Look for the one labeled FACTORY PARTITION or similar wording. It should ask you a few questions and then proceed with the recovery, back to the original factory Windows 7.

Keep in mind this will provide a FULL system wip along with the recovery. SO, if there's any pictures or other files you may want to save, you need to put them onto an external hard drive or USB stick drive, etc.

9. RoboNuts08

OMG the bloody blinking has returned. So I rolled back to WIN7 and the blinks followed. Now a message pops up and says "display driver has stopped working and has recovered" each time. I wonder if it is a hardware problem...
    Please help.

10. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    If you did the factory system restore and are still having issues, yes it's a hardware problem. Likely a failing graphics card at this point.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice