1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop freezes after booting, wont restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mack10series, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mack10series

mack10series Thread Starter

A custom built laptop recently fell into my hands, and everything was working fine according to the previous owner. I wiped the system, installed a fresh copy of XP, and on the initial boot was able to access the device manager to find almost everything ( video card, ethernet controller, wireless adapter, etc) needed drivers. When trying to install the drivers for the first device, the laptop freezes, with a sort of blotchy block display across the screen. I turned the laptop off, tried to reboot, the cpu fan spun for a few moments, stopped, then nothing happened. The power light was on, but nothing was on the screen, and nothing was audibly running. I tried rebooting again after a few minutes, It booted to XP, and as soon as it loaded, it froze again. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

2. TheRobatron

TheRobatron

Have you tried booting it up in safe mode? I used to have a laptop that did that, and it was all the processes running at startup that made it crash.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Also could have wrong video driver where tapping F8 continuously after pressing power button until you can access safe mode avoids those drivers and others that may be causing this.

4. mack10series

It still does the same thing, even in safe mode.

5. mack10series

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Instead of going to safe mode, choose enable vga driver and go back in and uninstall what you installed.
    Other choice on same menu would be "Choose last known good configuration".

7. mack10series

Now the laptop will not even boot. I let the battery charge for a few hours, and when i press the power button, the fan spins for a few seconds and then stops. Nothing loads, the screen stays blank, and the green power on light stays on. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

8. mack10series

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's a hardware failure and it has nothing to do with the rest of this post. Sounds like power supply failure. You see no post at all?

10. mack10series

No POST at all. It would only not boot occasionally, but ever since I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP its been doing this every time I try to boot. Is it possible to change a laptop power supply, or would it be more trouble/$$ than it is worth?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Power supply on a laptop is the power cord...out of curiosity, have you tried to run it with the power cord in and battery out?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice