1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop freezes and hard reboot needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluegiant, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluegiant

bluegiant Thread Starter

My Dell XPS laptop keeps freezing randomly and nothing will work unless I hard reboot. It normally freezes when I leave the computer on and the screensaver goes on. Once that is on, I know I will have to restart the computer. When it freezes, I cannot use anything on the computer including CTRL+ATL+DEL. I have tried to system restore to earlier time as well and twice it says the system restore was not possible. "System restore failed to extract the file."

It had worked fine til about a week ago and now I have to hard reboot it at least once a day.

I don't know if its a hardware problem, if its a Windows problem, or a virus infecting my laptop.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3838 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461899 MB, Free - 404739 MB; D: Total - 14999 MB, Free - 5951 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K171D
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Windows has become corrupted or the HDD is faulty.

3. bluegiant

bluegiant Thread Starter

What can I do to fix that? Or check which one it is?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You can test the HDD using the drive manufacturers disk tools.

For Windows, assuming you have a retail installation disc, you can boot from the disc and perform a Repair installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1078103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice