1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Freezes at shutdown/hibernate/standby screen.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jibberjabber, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jibberjabber

jibberjabber Thread Starter

Hi guys. I have been having a problem with my HP/Compaq nx9005 laptop since yesterday. I have had this laptop for a year, and it has been pretty much sound. Until now.

When I command the laptop to standby or hibernate everything goes off, but the power light stays on and then it just hangs there. The power light should be off (hibernation) or flashing (standby), but it stays on. I have to hold down the power button to manually switch it off, and then hold it down again to power it up.

When I shutdown/restart the computer the behaviour is similar, except that the screen "windows is shutting down" is static, and never disappears until manual power off.

Also I now find that a process called System is hogging as much of my CPU as possible. This has never occured before.

Thanks for any assistance in advance.

OS
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

RAM
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Hard Disk
    20.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Model

Hewlett-Packard HP nx9005 (DG832A) KAM1.59

Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 0024 PQ1A84

Bus Clock
    133 megahertz

BIOS

Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KAM1.59 04/19/2004

Processor
    1.65 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP, 256 kilobyte primary memory cache

Video Card

RADEON IGP 320M [Display adapter]

Sound Card
    Conexant AC-Link Audio

2. grimreapor

grimreapor

i have very similar problem with my notebook as well its a compaq but when it goes into standby or hiberination it takes ages to come back on if it does at all

3. jibberjabber

4. natcom

natcom

You mentioned since yesterday have you added any software prior to the problem have you tried system restore and go back a day or two before the problem?

5. jibberjabber

Thank you natcom

Actually, System restore is enabled, but for some reason, unfortunately I do not have any restore points. :(

6. natcom

natcom

have you install any PCMCIA) drivers ? things you can try are reinstall SP1 or upgrade to SP2 only if you sure you dont have any spyware on your system most problems to SP2 upgrades are related to that you can also do a repair of windows xp how to do so here http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

7. jibberjabber

I had SP1 when the problem occured, so I decided to install SP2 hoping that it would fix the problem. However, SP2 did not make a difference to my problem.

Perhaps I will have to attempt a repair as you say.

On performaing a repair, will all my programs that I currently have, and documents be deleted, or will they be intact? Is repairing the same as reformatting?

I have also checked for spyware and defragmented to no avail.

Many thanks

8. jibberjabber

9. natcom

natcom

doing a repair you wont lose anything only some windows updates everything else will be there

10. jibberjabber

OK, thanks natcom. I have tried repairing, but the problem still remains.

Oh dear. What now? A reformat? :mad:

11. jibberjabber

12. natcom

natcom

format is the last thing i will do cause if the problem is hardware then you wasted your time but i dont think in this case that is hardware we need to check others things do this uninstall every programs that recently was installed or not necessary

13. natcom

natcom

and please check on computer management event viewer for me check on the software and system tab for any errors copy and paste here

14. natcom

natcom

15. natcom

natcom

if you need more things to try here

Here are some things you might try:
    1) Visit windows update and install all the latest patcheds/updates: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

2) Try disabling the Welcome screen:
    Open Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click 'Change the way users log on or off.' Uncheck the box that says 'Use the Welcome screen.' This shows the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password."

3) Run msconfig (Start->Run->"msconfig"->OK) and try disabling some of your startup items. Perhaps there is a program causing this issue.

Check out these links about XP shutdown issues:
    shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm">http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307274
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!