1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop freezing every few minutes!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gpdega, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpdega

gpdega Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion G42-303DX. It's only about 8 months old. About 3 weeks ago after turning it on, a screen came up saying the cooling fan wasn't working and continued use could result in lost files. I went ahead and continued so I could backup files. Later in the day the fan made a funny noise and then started again. Since then it has been working. A few days ago the laptop started freezing randomly during use. The last couple of days it has been freezing every 10-15 minutes or so. I have to hold in the button to turn it off. I don't know if this is due to the fan maybe not properly cooling the laptop. According to HP my warranty has already ran out (I thought they typically lasted a year?). I imagine it would be cheaper at a repair shop than to send to HP if needed. But before I spent any money, I wanted to see if maybe it was a simple fix I could do myself. I ran startup repair and restored it to a previous day. It didn't fix the problem. I don't know a lot about computers so I was hoping to find some help here. Thanks!

2. vicks

vicks

Hi and welcome to TSG forums.
    If you computer is less than a year old, I would contact HP customer service...I believe they will replace the fan...You may have to send it to them for service. Worth contacting them to see what they have to say.
    Vicks

3. gpdega

gpdega Thread Starter

I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out about the warranty. Underneath the battery it says "warranty: 1 year". It's been 8 months. Hopefully it can be worked out and something done about my laptop! Thanks for the reply!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice