1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop freezing frequently

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kalenden, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

Hi, I'm having a problem with my almost completely new laptop, an Alienware M17xr3.
    TSG SysInfo:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8139 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6970M , -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 600475 MB, Free - 509681 MB;
    Motherboard: Alienware, M17xR3, A04, .31NFWM1.CN129611740120.
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled

It is freezing sometimes. It will get completely locked up, with the only thing you can do is pressing the power button.

This freezing most frequently happens after an hour or 2 of use, mostly during playing a game or watching a movie. Sometimes, the laptop at first just begins to loop back on the sound, and become unresponsive but not completely so. If I then try to do a normal restart, it will freeze completely.

I've taken a look at the event log, and when it crashes, the errors (the ones with an exclamation point in a red circle) that mostly come up during the time of the crash are (text has been google translated from dutch to english):

TOASTER.exe with the following description:
    An Unhandled Exception Occurred.
    Can not access the file C: \ Users \ Sven \ AppData \ Local \ software thinks \ scheduler.xml because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError (Int32 errorCode, String fullpath maybe)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init (String path, FileMode mode, file access access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, fileshare share, Int32 BufferSize, options file options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, msgPath String, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream .. ctor (String path, FileMode mode, file access access, fileshare share, Int32 buffer size)
    at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream (Uri uri, credentials ICredentials)
    at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity (Uri absolut pasteurized, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate (Object xmlResolver)
    at System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode (Object userdata)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup (TryCode code, code cleanup backoutCode, Object userdata)
    at System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run (CompressedStack compressedStack, context callback callback, Object state)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl ()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read ()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load (XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserve whitespace)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (XmlReader reader)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load (String filename)
    at Toaster.SchedulerReader.read ()
    at Toaster.Notifications.FullSystemBackup.FsbHelper.IsFsbScheduledNow ()
    at Toaster.MainWindowViewModel.NotificationsTimerTick (Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherTimer.FireTick (Object unused)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall (Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen (Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate handler catch)

Also the error WMI with the following text:
    Event filter with query SELECT * FROM WITHIN 60 WHERE __InstanceModificationEvent target instance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage> 99 can not be reactivated in namespace / / because of error 0x80041003 ./root/CIMV2. We may no events through this filter until the problem is corrected.

And finally the error Eventlog:
    During transport control events are lost. 0

Chronologically, eventLog happens around a minute before WMI, which happens around 1 to 5 minutes before TOASTER.exe, after which I assume, I restart the laptop (not entirely sure, last freezing happened an hour or 2 ago, and it is probably around the same timespan.)

Additionally, the AlienAutopsy program lets you test your hardware and it says everything is fine.

Hopefully this information is helpful. I'd rather not do a reinstall of windows 7 for various reasons, so any other solutions are welcome.

2. TechMaster7000

TechMaster7000

If there isn't a problem with your hardware, it must be the software. I recommend doing a full scan of your computer with AVG and installing MalwareBytes and do another full scan. It would also be a good idea to install CCleaner and running it too. Thats all I can think of, sorry :/

3. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

I should've mentioned it, but I've already done a full scan with both AVG and MalwareBytes. I've also run CCleaner ( both the cleaning up the disk as repairing the registry functions ).

While I'm at it, I've also used Disk Defrager (the windows 7 one ), which also checks for errors if I'm not mistaken.

4. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

I've searched the program up, and it seems Ccleaner does exactly the same, so I've already cleaned junk content and repaired registry errors.

5. TechMaster7000

TechMaster7000

Try disabling all startup programs:
    Start > Search "msconfig" > Startup > Disable all

Then restart the computer and see if it freezes after a while. If not, you could be overloading your RAM with startup programs or one of them that start on startup could be causing the problem.

6. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

Okay, I've done so and we'll see what will happen. Oddly enough, even though I disabled everything, it seems AlienRespawn is mandatory and always boots up.
    I've neglected to tell this, but the AlienRespawn program sometimes crashes on me, randomly. This isn't a problem, but when I went to take a look at all the processes that are still active after start up, there was a process named TOASTER.exe associated with AlienRespawn. So it could be a possibility that AlienRespawns causes the problems, I've also manually disabled TOASTER.exe now, and hopefully the laptop won't freeze now.

7. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the computer still froze. It did so when I tried to start a game up.
    Do you have any other suggestions?

8. TechMaster7000

TechMaster7000

What are the minimum requirements for the game?

9. Kalenden

Kalenden Thread Starter

Don't worry about that, the laptop more than meets the requirements.

It also just a moment ago froze, after I locked it and left it alone for an hour, so it has nothing to do with the game.

10. TechMaster7000

TechMaster7000

I'm sorry but I can't think of any more reasons. I recommend sending a message to one of the more experienced users on this site, maybe they can help.

The only other thing I can think of is faulty hardware. I know that you already tested it but even the best hardware testers out there can miss something. If you have more than one stick of RAM in the laptop (which I expect you do), I suggest taking them out one at a time and trying to narrow down the possibility of faulty RAM. If you have another laptop HDD, you should try it and see if it causes you the same problem.

11. Bill-R-TechSpec

Bill-R-TechSpec

This could be a result of the PC over heating. Could also be malware, disk errors, heavy fragmentation.

Here's what I would do to cover all the bases (start at 00. and try the PC. If all OK, do the remaining steps to ensure your PC is at its best):

00. Ensure the PC is getting enough cooling:
    1. Clean out all the air intakes grills,
    2. Clean out the fans, ensuring they run well and aren't "laggy"
    3. Replace any slow or non-working fans, especially on the CPU.

0. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty.
    Solution - Run CheckDisk:
    a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start".
    b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer. Be patient.)

1. Do a System Restore to a point before this was a problem:
    a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open);
    b. Select a restore point well before you started having these problems;
    c. Start the restore process and let it complete (Name the restore operation something descriptive like "Freeze-up Repair").

Note: you will need to re-install any programs and maybe the updates that were installed after that restore point -- one of which may be the cause of this. Re-Install one at a time so you can see if any one of them causes the problem).

2. Get good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs (AVG is good for Anti Virus; MalWare Bytes is a good, free anti malware program -- see links below. Get the AV if you don't have one and Malware Bytes).
    a. Download Malware Bytes and install it
    b. Run a complete (full) SpyWare scan with Malware Bytes and handle whatever it finds.
    c. Run a complete Virus Scan and handle whatever it finds (if you are going to change AV programs, remove the old one first before installing AVG).

AVG AntiVirus: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html
    MalWare Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

3. Run a good disk defrag. If you use the computer more than occasionally, the built-in may not cut it. Consider downloading a free trial of a third party commercial defrag tool.

Third party programs are more robust and many work in the background so you can use your PC while defragging.

Most third party programs offer a free, fully-functional trial (the better ones are for 30 days).

Below is a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available.

Defrag Reviews: http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

a. Select a program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC. The top placer was the only defrag program that prevented fragmentation (see the review).

b. Defragment your disk drives. The best defrag programs are very fast and you will be able to see the progress and with the better ones, you can use the PC while it is working with no problems.

Good luck to you!

Bill R TechSpec

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice