1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop gig hz port to router gig port problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ncrdisabled, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ncrdisabled

ncrdisabled Thread Starter

I have a cq50-120 and a motorla sb6121 . Both have gig ports but laptop will not hook up to router at gig speed . I have tried different cables cat 5 type . I have tried a different laptop different router and even bought a 5 port hub all ghz ports .

I am lost . I do know computer and networking from back in the NAVY I was on submarines and a torpedo reload crushed my spine a few years later I got I got my MCSE 4.0 and CCNA years ago after I got out of the NAVY then the pain got to bad and I had a morphine pump installed in me. That meant I am total disabled. I do help out local folks with simple problems .

May the med is stopping is stopping me from thinker straight

ANY I deas

Thanks

2. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

I think you are on the right track, and I am not sure what to suggest. Just re-assuring you that some looked at your issue with clean eyes, and it seems you have it right. Sorry to hear about the injury and I hope all works out.

3. ncrdisabled

Thanks I had my wife look at it she is my care taker and she knows a little about computers . She did not know what could be the problem but she said to try a cat5e cable and that did not help

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

5. ncrdisabled

My laptop shows a nvida nforce 10/100/1000 under device manager.
    I have a motorola sb6141 Netgear WNR3500v2/U/L running ddrt I tried the original firm ware but same problem.
    I also have a computer asus motherboard 8 gig ram 4 tera byte HD with a ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps

I had been running every thing on 10/100 I wanted to upgrade to 10/1000 thats when things went down hill

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

What is the problem you're having with Internet connectivity and internal network speeds? You didn't mention a router initially.

7. ncrdisabled

I had a older cable modem and the time warner uped my speed for 3 months free to 50/10 . I could not get above 14mb so I got a ssdi back check for 250.00 so I was allowed to spend 100.00 I got lucky and bought the cable modem and gigbyte hub for 80 bucks . So that is where I am at.

8. Rearden

Rearden Banned

So you're paying for 50Mbs service? What speeds are you getting? How have you tested your internet network's speed (which is different from your Internet connection speed)?

9. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

You may have to force the nVidia NIC to use 1000 Mbps. Have seen a few posts on this problem and this has worked for some.

Open Device Manager
    Expand Network adapters
    Double click on the nVidia to open Properties.
    Select the Advanced tab.
    In Property box, select "Link-speed & Duplex"
    Click the arrowhead next to the "Value" box to pull up the iptions.
    Select "1000 Mbps/Full Duplex"
    Click OK.

If a selection for 1000 Mbps doesn't show as an option, you probably will need to get an updated driver for the nVidia NIC.

HP/Compaq support http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-dr...13|49711|047c4cfd-1a32-4e29-e377-000004f67468

nVidia http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

I think both sites have auto detect software for updated drivers. Also, nVidia NIC drivers are usually contained in the chipset/motherboard drivers.

10. ncrdisabled

I had already updated my my Nforce driver to the latest . Even now it does not have Link-speed & Duplex setting it has
    speed/duplex and that has no 1000 setting .
    I am running windows vista 32bit .
    I am going to try going to the 2 sites and see if any updates.
    I also have a driver update program and tried updating it there and it also updated it . Still no help.

11. ncrdisabled

My speetnet is 14/3 before the free upgrade 9/.512 I am unsure how to test just my internal speed . I know how in NT4.0 but that was years ago.

Thanks

12. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You can test your Internet connection speed by going to this site.
    http://speedtest.net/

I'm not sure about testing internal connectivity. If you're paying for 50Mbps and you're only getting 9, then you should talk to your ISP to find out what the problem is.

13. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Not good news.
    Did a little more checking and found the Maintenance and Servicel Guide for the Compaq CQ50 series.
    Pin-out for the RJ-45 on page 127 shows only 4 pins connected. This would limit the ethernet to 100 Mbps no matter what driver is used. Need all 8 for 1000 Mbps.
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/hp/hp g50 compaq presario cq50.pdf

On the Netgear router with original firmware, under Router Status, there should be a Show Statistics button. Click this to get Statics for the different ports and WLAN.
    Status column shows the link speeds.
    Not sure if is the same with ddrt.

14. Rearden

Rearden Banned

A LAN limitation of 100Mbps wouldn't reduce bandwidth from the Internet if the ISP connection is 50Mbps.

We should wait for clarification on which connection is the problem (LAN vs WAN).

15. ncrdisabled

I think he hit the nail on the head with the compaq rj45 port has only 2 twist pairs which will limit the speed .
    And a answer the lan or wan. I am trying to set up my lan to gig speeds I had 10/100 and was slow in a few spots so I bought a gig hub gig router and gig cable modem . I have a junk cq50 mother board and I am going to get my magnify glass and check
    the pin outs if it really is 4 pins then I am going to look for a usb to gig adaptor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice