1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Guest to Desktop PC host..HOW??!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by blackstar, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackstar

blackstar Thread Starter

I posted this in a reply to another thread but Im so frustrated that I think it needs its own thread

Im trying to make a small network,,,only 2 computers

Right now I mainly just want to share an internet connection (Im still on dialup).
    Do I need more "hardware" other than just the connecting phone cord/adapter? I want the PC with WinXP pro to be the host.

Should I put the line from the laptop (which I want to be the guest) in the jack where I usually put my phone/internet line?
    Or where I usually put the line to my telephone??
    HELLLP!!??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to have a network connection between the two machines, probably the easiest way is two NICs (Network Interface Cards) and a crossover CAT5 cable. Here's a site that explains ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) setup way better than I will: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/index.asp

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice