1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop H/D is formatted in GPT...need to convert to MBR

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by geno368, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I am helping a friend access his documents in order to back them to a flash drive. When I tried to boot his Samsung running Windows 8.1, it failed. I connected his drive in my desktop with a usb adapter and went to drive mgmt and found that somehow his drive partition was GPT protected. I don't want to lose his pictures but need to convert back to MBR I guess. Any help in doing this is appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think that if you have a 64 bit version of Windows you can get files off that drive. What version of windows is on your Desktop PC and is it 32 or 64 bit ?

3. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. It is a 64 bit OS - Windows 10 home. When I power it up and go to windows file manager, it does not show. It only shows in disk management

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If possible try connecting the problem drive directly to the PC via Sata data cable.

5. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

The only way I know to do that is my usb adapter to sata. do you know another way?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes, open the case and connect the drive to the motherboard with a Sata data cable and to the power supply with a spare Sata power connector, or if no spare use a Molex to Sata power adapter lead.

7. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Gotcha, I didn't think of that. Thanks...I will update you in a couple of days

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice