laptop hang on every OTHER boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cjustis

My laptop will hang on every OTHER boot. Having said that, the reality is that when it hangs I need to do a hard boot (hold the on/off button for 5 secs) to shut it down. Then when I boot it again it comes up fine. Very annoying!

It hangs after the Windows XP splash, and after logging in. There’s a short pause, then my background comes up (it’s just a plain red background, I use colors to tell which boxes I am remotely logged into), the hour glass flitters a few times then the box sits…forever. There is nothing on the red screen except the mouse cursor, no icons, no sys tray, just the cursor which continues to work (but of course there’s nothing to click on!). ctrl/alt/del doesn’t work, nor does a quick push of the on/off button to shut it down. So at this point a hard shutdown is required.

On the next reboot everything is fine again. I guess you could say that every time it’s shutdown gracefully, it hangs on reboot and every time it’s brought down hard, it boots just fine. I’ve found some references to similar problems on the web, including this site, but there are many variations and I am hesitant to try some of the solutions that have worked for others whose problem are only similar to mine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chip

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts