1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop hard disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCwhiz, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCwhiz

PCwhiz Thread Starter

Hi i am rebuilding a toshiba laptop whilst i know how to builld a desktop PC laptops is new to me what I wanted to know was do laptops have IDE cables the same as desktop pcs particularly the hard disk?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

No . . The hard drive in a laptop mounts directly to the motherboard

wrs

3. PCwhiz

PCwhiz Thread Starter

Hi thanks for that so there isnt a missing bit in this laptop,do all laptop hard drives fit all other laptops or must i buy one for that particular model of machine?

4. wander12

wander12

i think there are 2 sizes of notebook HDD. 1.8" and 2.5". Buy watever fits ur laptop.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

99% of the laptops around use a 9.5mm 2.5" disk, very few use the 1.8" disks. They are all pretty standard, however you need to check to see what maximum size hard disk your BIOS supports.

6. marioh

marioh

Laptop drives come in many different configurations. Most laptops use the 2.5" hard drive. The difference comes in how that's connected in the laptop. Some manufacturers/models have special drive mounts that the laptop hd goes into, which has a specific connector within the laptop that connects to the drive mount. Sometimes that drive mount goes into the bottom of the laptop (typically underneath an easy to remove bottom piece of the laptop), sometimes it goes into the side of the laptop (and I've seen these types with the IR built onto the drive mount as well), and I've seen laptops that use the standard plug size that fits unto the pins of all 2.5" hard drives (these are sometimes harder to get to/install, but the location is usually on the bottom of the laptop).
    The location and the way to install hard drives does vary from model to model, manufacturer to manufacturer, but the one constant is that, for the most part, they almost all use the 2.5" hard drive. You'll also see these 2.5" hard drives in some MP3 players (the ones that hold GB's of data). I know my dead RCA Lyra 2840 Jukebox had one in it (whatever you do, don't buy that crappy MP3 player like I did). The hard drive in the MP3 player is still good though, it's just the rest of the MP3 player was built like garbage. :mad:

7. obvious

obvious

thats odd, on my lappy i got a 2.3 inch drive for some reason. i just *hope* that im just measuring the wrong bit!

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though the laptop has a special mounting, inside the mounting is a standard 2.5" drive. You just remove the mounting/connector and use it for the new drive. I've installed lots of laptop drives, and I've never needed anything but plain old 2.5" drives.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice