1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop hard drive always feels hot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billhitz, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billhitz

billhitz Thread Starter

I have a 3 year old Dell Inspiron 600m. As the 30 gig original drive filled up it started running hot. I replaced it with a 5400 rpm Toshiba 80 gig drive, which ran cool for a few weeks. Then it started running as hot, or hotter, than the original drive.

By hot I mean around 50 Celsius. I understand that 50 may be normal, but this computer felt cool for 2.5 years and the fan rarely was heard. Now, it's uncomfortable to rest my left hand on it and the fan is on and off all day. I still have more than half the drive available and it has been defragmented regularly.

Otherwise the computer is clean, runs fast and is protected by McAfee and Spy Sweeper 4.5.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you cleaned and checked the heat sink.....I have a laptop and cleand and re-thermal pasted my heat sink and now it runs like it use to.

Any question about how just post back

3. billhitz

billhitz Thread Starter

Thanks for your your suggestion, bonk.
    I have not done so, nor know how, but would be eager to try it if you will provide some guidance.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

It seems scarey but just take your time and be carefull and don't force things and you will do fine...First of all about mine it started running hot just like yours and sometimes it was so hot that programs had problems...and the fan didn't blow out like it use to....sound familar.

first you can look at this link will give you an idea.
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258

for mine I had to take to screws out after I got into the panel and then switch a lever to remove my heatsink and CPU. I then removed the heatsink from the CPU with a little pressure breaking the thermal paste seal. I then cleaned the heatsink with compressed air but a pure bristle brush may do and cleaned all the vents plugged with dust...I then used a cleaner to remove the old paste from the heatsink and CPU...I then replaced the CPU making sure the lever was open and lock it in place with the lever.....then I placed a thin layer of thermal paste on the heatsink and placed it on the CPU ...making sure it was positioned correctly I then replaced the screw holding the heatsink... and then replaced the plastic cover.
    Anymore questions I'll be hear

5. billhitz

billhitz Thread Starter

Great. I'll snoop it out this weekend sometime and see how it goes.

My last laptop was a 1999 Presario that I ended up getting into about 20 times because a wire connection kept coming loose, so I'm not afraid to get into laptops.

I appreciate your help!

6. bonk

bonk Banned

It will go fine I only wish I had done mine sooner....if you have any problems then post back here....also if you don't have any problems let us know how it went

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/454740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice