1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Hard Drive CRASHED but no recovery disk

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SouthShore, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SouthShore

SouthShore Thread Starter

I have a laptop with a hard drive that crashed. There was no recovery disk made nor do I have the installation windows vista CD. Laptop is at least 2years old. how do I go about reinstalling the new hard drive? Will HP Support provide me a free installation disk?

thank you :)

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Etaf,

I think there is only 1 Vista DVD and that contains all versions from Home to Ultimate. It is the License Key that determine which version to install. On my Vista Business DVD, if you don't enter a license key, the next screen asks you which version to use. Of course, if you don't have the right key, then the install will not work after 30 days, because you will fail to validate.

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

lunarlander - Thanks for the info

5. alinxie

alinxie

I had the same thing happen to my daughters acer laptop and I bought a new hard drive and they gave me a restore disk and batabing botaboom up and running again. Goodluck

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970021