1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop Hard Drive External Caddy or Enclosure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trybry, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trybry

Trybry Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Laptop running Win98 1st. Ed. It's on it's 2nd hard drive. The first was a IBM Travelstar (model# DKLA-24320). It was replaced when the Stone Monkey Virus made it impossible to access the dirve.

Now I am looking for what I think is called an external hard drive caddy or enclosure. I would like to place the old hard drive in the external caddy or enclosure. The caddy or enclosure would have to be either Parallel, USB or PCMICA adaptable. I am hoping to then be able to access the old hard drive that way.

Is there such a Caddy or enclosure, does it go by any other name? If there is such a device please tell me the proper name and where I can find them.

I'd also like to know whether, this sounds like a possible way to access an old laptop hard drive?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Trybry

Trybry Thread Starter

Okay,

Thanks, for the prompt response and info!

When I went to check the model #,` I picked it up and heard some rattling. Does this mean something is lose inside? If something is loose in there can I still salvage the drive or disk?

Are there some external cases that use power from the laptop too?

Thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Laptop hard drives do usually have a rattle if shaken - don't shake it or will be damaged.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/278498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice