1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Hard Drive External Device?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by powella, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. powella

powella Thread Starter

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is such a device that allows you to connect a laptop hard drive up to a desktop or another laptop to retrieve data? The laptop hard drive in question is partitioned into C: and D: and the client has data on D: drive that he would like to save if possible (laptop won't boot up to recover the data). I have tried reimaging the laptop twice (C: drive only) but it's failed both times. Reimaging is not an option now so I'd like to try and recover the data another way. No matter how many times I tell these people to back up their data to the server, it never seems to sink in...

Hoping someone can help? :)

2. rugrat

rugrat

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use drive drawers and one of those adapters to fetch data from laptop drives, works just fine.

4. powella

powella Thread Starter

5. powella

powella Thread Starter

Ok, I ended up buying a Soloman USB2.0 External Box for 2.5" HDD. Everything connects up OK and for a few seconds XP recognises the new device (it makes that new hardware sound) but then it makes the sound when the hardware is disconnected and it doesn't reconnect.

It doesn't assign a drive letter either. I thought there may be a conflict of drive letters so I changed the ones I'm already using to something else but still no go.

Any ideas?

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

The problem with those external USB enclosures and the adapters is they are all made CHEAP. I've gone through 3 of those external enclosure--its like throw-away cameras--they seem to work a half dozen times and then they are finished.

You may not be drawing enough power from the enclosure, which is why I bought one with a separate USB plug for power. I'm not sure if that is the problem, but it sounds like it because it recognizes your drive momentarily, then not.

Put your hand on the enclosure and see if you can feel the drive running and then stop running at the same time Windows makes the 2nd sound (like its disconnected)--if so, it may not be getting enough power. Try disconnecting all the other USB devices and a different port as well. Also, try it on a friend's computer--wait a minute--you're in Australia--try it on a "mates" computer--see if you get the same problem! ;) You may need a different one.

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

Here is the one I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146605

on sale from $17.99 down to $9.99 at NewEgg and its worked so far--has a separate USB power cord. You may say, "well that's cheap"--it is but I've bought higher priced ones and they are STILL MADE CHEAP. That's why I decided I'd just buy them under the assumption they wouldn't last long--I can buy 5 of those at $9.99 for a so-called "quality" one for $40 which is still CHEAP!

Have I made the point that these enclures are CHEAP! ;)

8. powella

powella Thread Starter

Thanks Mulder. I knew you'd come through. ;)

I think I may have solved the problem. The HD is a dud! I pulled it from the faulty laptop to see if I could retract the data from the second partition (D: drive) but I'm beginning to think the ENTIRE drive is faulty, not just C: drive where the OS is. I came to this conclusion when I pulled a HD out of another laptop, connected it up and all was working fine!

9. JohnWill

It boggles my mind that you have so much trouble with these. I have four 2.5" enclosures with various size disks in them, and none of them have given me a lick of problems. I carry a couple of them on trips in my laptop bag, they survive just fine.

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

You got lucky! ;)

I think if you stick a drive in their and never touch it again, you're fine--but they are not made for taking drives in and out of--the wiring and connections are very flimsy. The last one I had I was copying a drive and I smelled something burning--I thought it was downstairs--so I went down there--nothing--I came back up and had an error--I unplugged it, plugged it in again and then I saw smoke coming out of it! :D

I just have not seen a quality one but granted I haven't tried them all--what one are you using?

11. JohnWill

I have a number of generic no-name ones, the real small ones that are barely larger than the 2.5" drive. I've had them for several years. I recently picked up a 120gig WD Passport when it was on sale for $79 shipped, it's now my traveling disk. :)

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

So you're a travelin man! :D

The one I have now that I linked to seems to be pretty well made as these things go and for $9.99 its hard to beat the price AND it has an extra USB power cord.

Do you ever have any problem with drawing power for the drive out of the USB plug?

13. JohnWill

Amazingly enough, the older 40gig drives both require dual connections to power them. One has a provision for an external supply, and I use that when I connect it to my main system. The WD Passport is a larger drive, and it powers up on several laptops and all the desktops I've tried with a single connection.

I do notice that WD sells a special dual-headed cable, perhaps that's for people with passive hubs that simply don't have the power available.

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

Yeah--I saw somehwere where they recommended plugging it directly into a USB port and not a hub, although I connected that one I linked to with the extra power cable to a hub (cuase I didn't have any USB ports left on my desktop and would have to disconnect stuff and I'd have to follow the maze of cords under the desk to figure out what the hell I was unplugging! :D) and it ran find, but it did of course have two USB cords drawing power rather than one.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

I carried mobile hard drives for years, cheap and expensive and after plugging and unplugging them every week for a year, they always croaked. That's how I updated my office computers from my home office computers. I tried cdrw's and they die in about 5 triea. The only things that lasted were those mobile hard drives utilizing laptop drives, but the connections get all screwy no matter how careful you are in a year.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice