1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Hard drive upgrade querys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Im upgrading my laptop, ive added 2Gb Ram and would like to stick a faster Hard-Drive in...
    now after research I (at first) thought spindle speed determined the speed of the datarate to the drive, so I aimed at getting a 7200rpm 300Mbps datarate SATA II 2.5" drive but after checking I see that i can get 5400rpm SATA I drives that also have 300Mbps (3Gbps) Datarate... so now Iam confused as Ive just been looking at Desktop WD Raptor drives that are 10,000rpm and they have just 150Mbps datarate...???

can anybody explain al this? why superfast expensive drives have just 150Mbps datarate and cheap 5400rpm SATA I drives can have 300Mbps..?

(I know 150/300 isnt the 'atual' datarate but the 300 shows that it should be twice the speed of 150)

please help...

I want to know do I have to get a 7200rpm drive or not?

I currently have a 60Gb SATA 5400rpm 150Mbps drive
    and was thinking of getting a 120Gb SATA 5400rpm 300Mbps drive ( http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk1237gsx.htm )
    if the spindle speed didnt matter... i see that MK1237GSX has two disc and 4 heads.. maybe thats why its able to do double the datarate
    thanks

2. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

...(cont)
    ive just been doing more checking and from what I can gather SATA II means the drive has PMR (Perpendicular Magnetic Recording) which basically means it has two disks (platters) and thats how it gets the double DataRate @ 300Mbps (or 3Gbps) ... so what does the spindle speed do for it all?

I would reckon that a SATA II @ 7200rpm should be faster at datarate than SATAII @ 5400rpm - but both have 300Mbps datarates in specifications but I suppose the ACTUAL speeds when pitted against each other would be better for 7200rpm??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice