1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop harddrive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sobelo, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sobelo

sobelo Thread Starter

Is it possible to verify a defective harddrive is the cause of my problem? I would like to be sure before purchasing a new one. My laptop freezes up 2-3 minutes after booting up, i then have to do a power button shut-down. This happens after every attempt to re boot. It's a lenovo z570 win7 sp1

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Laptop

You might want to add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

We need more information about the hardware and operating system, so do the following in your laptop:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your laptop will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. sobelo

sobelo Thread Starter

I ran the chkdsk & got this "windows replaced bad clusters in file 90702 of name progra~2\lenovo\energy~1\utility.exe. I don't hear any unusual sounds from the hdd. It started working again after running chkdsk, don't know for how long though.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4010 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1813 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 670404 MB, Free - 627778 MB; D: Total - 29696 MB, Free - 26465 MB;
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Emerald Lake
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    chkdsk looks like it had found some bad blocks and was able to recovery and mark them against future use

make sure you back up all your data - regularly - incase this is a sign of a failing drive

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 laptop was introduced in 2011.
    How long have you had yours?
    I've seen the hard drive fail in some laptops in as little as 3 years.

According to your TSGSIU log, your laptop's main C: drive has a capacity of 654.59 GB and has only 41.53 GB of used space.
    Did you recently do a Windows reinstall or factory restore in it?

7. sobelo

sobelo Thread Starter

I've had it since oct. 2011, & never did a reinstall. I don't keep any personal files on it, everythings on portable drives & in the cloud.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That means you've owned it for about 4 years 5 months.
    It's possible after that long that the hard drive is failing, so it's good that you don't have any personal data in it.

I was surprised to see so little used space, so I was assuming a recent reinstall or very few programs installed and very little personal data stored.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. sobelo

sobelo Thread Starter

I do believe the hard drive is failing, got to decide if spending $60 - $70 on a new drive for a 4 1/2 year old laptop is wise. Do you have an opinion on that?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Once the hard drive is replaced, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit and all necessary device drivers need to be installed in it.
    You do have the means to do that, correct?

11. sobelo

sobelo Thread Starter

Not sure what i have, when the computer was new, & first booted up, it recommended making copies of the operating system, as well as some other things, & my daughter did that. This is what i have copied to dvds - disks 1, 2, & 3 labeled "owner pc" - disks 1, 2, & 3 labeled "lenovo" & 1 disk labeled "system repair". I think 3 disks were used because of disk capacity limitations. BTW, after over 4 years my daughter doesn't remember what was copied. Any way of finding out what i have & if it's whats needed?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice