1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Hardware does not Power Down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheAlmightyOS, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheAlmightyOS

TheAlmightyOS Thread Starter

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410
    OS: Irrelevant (issue occurs on Win10/Win7/Manjaro Linux. Issue not dependant on OS)
    Current BIOS version: A17
    Installed CPU: i5 M560

Symptoms:
    When shutdown initiated from OS, OS seems to successfully shut down but hardware continues to operate (fans blowing, Power LED stays lit, LCD backlight on, battery powerdrain). System will also continue to generate heat as if it is under load. The only way to shut down the system is to hold the power button for three seconds.

Wake on LAN/WLAN is disabled in BIOS
    Wake on USB is disabled in BIOS

And yes, I have "googled" for the solution to this issue. The solutions I find all have to do with Windows 10 hybrid shutdown which isn't the problem or Dell support punting the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I am a tech. You don't need to translate to userese (y)

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Since it's a hardware-related issue, I did some reading and the CMOS battery popped up in various places as a possibility for this shutdown issue. I know it's a stretch, but perhaps making a note of your BIOS settings, popping the battery, and then setting up again? It might also be worth considering a replacement, since they're only a few bucks.

3. TheAlmightyOS

Yeah, I saw that too. Was looking for another solution I could try before I broke out the ol' ifixit kit. I know it will wipe my UEFI Boot settings and I am not quite confident in my ability to restore it, meaning a possible windows repair/reinstall in the worst-case scenario. But yeah, that is on the list as a last resort.

4. TheAlmightyOS

@lochlomonder,
    I guess my next question is can someone assist in fixing the UEFI boot when the bios clears? Most of my technical skills are old school from back when you had to set primary/secondary drives. I don't quite understand how UEFI boot works yet other than clearing a BIOS will screw it up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice