1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop, has 20g space, but only 326mb available???

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by inb4lokd, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

I don’t know what’s going on. It’s a laptop I got recently and never really used it other than PS4 remote play app. Tried to install iTunes and it says it doesn’t have enough space. 20gigs but nothing available except 326mbs. How?? I don’t have anything installed and I looked at all installed programs and it’s a total of 713mb.

Where is the other 19gb of space? Please help. Thx.

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    How many GB does your Hard Drive have and is it a mechanical drive or SSD.

3. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

20gb ssd

I’ve checked programs, less than a gig.
    I’ve checked apps, less than a gig.
    I’ve cleaned up the disk and old files.
    I’ve emptied recycling bin.
    And there no music or anything else that would take up space other than the OS. It’s win 8.1.

This doesn’t make sense.

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    20 GB is extremely too low. You can't do too much on it.
    Here is a video tutorial if you want to try it out to see if you may have a little bit of luck.

5. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

Ya it’s a small tablet/laptop that I got for PS4 remote play and does well with it but I want to install iTunes update and it won’t let me due to space needed.

Ok I’ll check it out tm and report back. Thx.

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Have you tried to delete the downloaded temporary files? There's many free utilities that can do that.
    Also, I agree that a 20GB drive is very small. I don't think I've seen one like that in 7-8 years. You could probably buy a bigger, yet cheap drive and clone the existing one to it.

7. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

I bought this just for PS4 remote play which does an excellent job at that but I also want to install iTunes for my iPhone (not for music), so 20gb is more than enough for me.

I don’t want to buy anything as I use my iPhone for all my “pc” needs. I even do my YouTube downloading, video editing and all other things all on my phone. I haven’t touched a PC in years. But I could try a cleanup. What’s one of those free programs you were saying?

8. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

I tried this and it freed up just over 1gb of space. I think that’s more than enough to install iTunes. Thanks a lot.

9. inb4lokd

inb4lokd Thread Starter

Got iTunes installed but when I tried to backup my iPhone, not enough storage. UGH!!!!

10. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Of course you don't. You said it yourself. Had 300+MB free. After deleting temp files over 1GB. That'll never be enough to backup an Iphone. Not even the earliest versions. The latest versions have OS' that are several GB in themselves.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    The only solution I can think of is to buy an external HDD or a USB memory stick for your backups or storage. I would also install a new HDD with more storage space but that is up to you to decide.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice