1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop has slow speed internet, all other devices are normal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by klajdkika, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

My laptop is experiencing very slow internet speeds and I checked the internet and it is fine, including my other devices are fine and have fast internet. It's just my laptop somehow yesterday it decided to bail on me. I have comcast 25Mbps and speedtest reads speeds of as low as 0.25 which is ridiculously slow [​IMG] [​IMG]It's a HP Pavilion dm4 Beats audio edition. Running Windows 7, Processor: Intel core i5-2450M CPU 2.50GHz, RAM 6GB. 64 bit.

PLEASE HELP

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With both ethernet and Wi-Fi connection, right?

3. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

well somehow when i booted and reinstalled windows 7 myself back in the day I never installed the land network so I just installed the wireless driver. So can't try it with the Ethernet just wifi

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver--from HP's web site if an integrated adapter, else from the adapter manufacturer's site. What adapter is it?

5. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

system information says: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5000 Series Adaptor
    but device manager has: Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 and Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor #2

Also I connected it with my iPhone hot spot through WiFi and the speed is 3Mbps as soon as i connect to my xfinity Wifi it goes from 35Mbps to 0.20Mbps

Safe mode with network 65Mbps internet speed

Please help

6. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

7. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

HP Pavilion dm4-3099se Beats Edition Entertainment Notebook PC
    product number: A6X76UA#ABA

as far as drivers system information says:
    *Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5000 Series Adaptor

but device manager has:
    *Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030
    *Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor #2

8. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

9. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

I've been checking the hp website and it lists all the drivers but it takes forever to download it because I have 0.2Mbps and it is crazy slow. Should I download and install only the network driver or all of them. Because i am not sure if i start downloading and installing will the old ones uninstall or they will just be obsolete and might slow down my computer on the background?

10. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Yes, just download the network driver. You can download the rest later once the speed is corrected.

You can do it in safe mode if need be.

11. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

will the old ones be uninstalled automatically or I will need to uninstall them later manually

12. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

The Intel Proset software will be but the old driver will remain.

13. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

downloaded the
    Intel Wireless Drivers, Intel PROSet, and Intel My WiFi for Microsoft Windows 7
    15.1.0.18 158.9 MB Apr 17, 2015 Download HP's Terms of Use Details Previous versions

and the speed is still the same

Attached Files:

14. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

What Anti-Virus/Security Suite program are you using? Any previous Anti-Virus/Security Suites installed?
    Do you have full access to the router?

15. klajdkika

klajdkika Thread Starter

I have kaspersky and that's it i have deleted all the other programs. I deleted all the network drivers and then installed the lan driver. Connected it with ethernet and 125Mbps internet speed. So I think it's the wireless driver causing problems. I am at HP website but not sure which one to download for the wireless driver.
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers...UA&ssfFlag=true#Z7_3054ICK0KGTE30AQO5O3KA30R1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice