1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop has strong wireless network signal but no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by morgancharles, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morgancharles

morgancharles Thread Starter

Wireless network with two macs and one pc-- all was working great, with wpa2 protection-- but then changed to WEP (because my Olive Musica only uses WEP) and reconfigured the computers. But now only the macs work. The PC connects to the network and sometimes shows a strong signal and sometimes show limited connectivity, but in no case connects to the internet. And when I try to configure the pc it ultimately reverts back to the WPA and when it opens available networks it describes the network i use as a wpa network, even though i reconfigured the whole thing to wep!
    If I sound like I know what I'm talking about, alas I do not. But I have tried opening, redoing, reading info, and everything else to get my pc back on board this wireless network.... but nothing seems to work.
    What do you think? Thanks for any and all help. best, charlie

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to remove any stored wireless profiles that were created for this machine and search for a new network and enter the WEP key.

What is the version of Windows on this machine? Vista frequently has issues with WEP, which may be part of the issue. Also, when using WEP, you should use only the hex keys, don't use ASCII passphrases.

3. morgancharles

thank you... I have tried to remove the stored wireless profiles, but perhaps I'm not looking for them in the right places. Where can I find them?
    It is a windows xp pro system. And when you say 'search for a new network' do you mean find the network that was changed in the two macs? And what i had done with the Wep on the macs was (because some prompt said the password had to be 13 figures) just type in 1234567890123 to see if that worked...and for some reason it did. Not much security perhaps, but I' now a bit afraid to change anything....first things first, however: how do I get my pc to stop finding (and saying it has connected to!) the old WPA2 network? many thanks. charlie

4. JohnWill

The problem is, you're using ASCII passphrases for the WEP key, and they don't always translate the same. That's probably the basic issue, which is why I suggest using HEX only for the WEP keys.

If you're using Windows WZC, right click on the wireless icon in the system tray and select View Available Wireless Networks. From that screen, click on the link on the left Change the order of preferred networks. Select each network and press the Remove button.

5. morgancharles

johnwill, thank you... i did remove the network... and now i shall change the network key on all the computers to a hex key BUT, how do i do that, and where do i find the hex key numerals and how many should there be (perhaps this is done automatically?).... anyway, if you can guide me in that direction I would greatly appreciate it. charlie

6. JohnWill

You enter the HEX key in the router, then on each machine you remove any stored profiles for that network and search for new networks. You'll be prompted for the key. I can't comment on the Mac, since I don't use them and don't know exactly how you enter their keys.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/797018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice