1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop having issues with router, other devices ok

Discussion in 'Networking' started by liquidprotein, Nov 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liquidprotein

liquidprotein Thread Starter

The laptop in question is a Dell running WIndows 7. The problem came up quite suddenly, right in the middle of browsing the internet. I did a speed test and am getting something like 0.29 Mbps down and 0.56 up when on Wifi and when the laptop is plugged into one of the ports in the back of the router (Linksys WRT54G). When plugged directly into the cable modem, speeds are normal. No other devices that utilize this wireless router are having any speed issues (another laptop, phones, printer that is plugged into the router).

I have tried two different virus scans (MSE and Malwarebytes Anti Malware). I tried a system restore, this didn't work either. Not sure what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    1. have you tried a different ethernet cable? (Yes cables do go bad.)
    2. Have you tried a different port on the router? (Yes a router port can go bad.)

Have you power cycled the router? (I used a WRT54G for 13 years and now am using a WRT54GL). Usually when I change connections, I let the router off for 1 minute. The I plug the power back in.

3. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I'd download the latest drivers. Remove any and all installed software associated with the wifi card. Do NOT reboot, yet.
    Remove the card using Device Manager. When/if asked to remove drivers? Reply "Yes"

Then a reboot, followed by an install of the previously downloaded driver(s).

4. liquidprotein

liquidprotein Thread Starter

I feel a little dumb for not trying this sooner, but all it took to fix this issue was unplugging the router and letting it sit for a bit and then plugging it back in.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Don't feel dumb. Thanks for letting us know what worked.
    If it happens again, you'll remember to try that first.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice