Solved Laptop HD not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daniel00000

I accidentally powered down my windows 10 laptop while it was updating. When I tried to turn it on I got nothing.

I tried a few of the recommended troubleshooting tips online but nothing worked. Sorry I cant be more specific here.

I have a SATA to USB cable so I pulled the HD and connected it to my desktop. In the hopes that I could save some very precious data before drastic steps need to ba taken to get the laptop HD in working order. But the desktop doesn't seem to know what to do with it. It is telling me the drive letter is invalid and it needs to be reformatted.

Can anybody help me recover my data and get the laptop HD back in order?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Can you connect the laptop drive internally to your desktop system?

Daniel00000

Im not sure. I would have to open the case and poke around. Would it be usable even if the HD was damaged during update?

Daniel00000

Opened the case. Im nkt seeing an obvious way to do that and Im not confident enough to play around in there.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You don't see another SATA cable and power connector? If you have a SATA optical drive, you could use that cable temporarily.

It is unlikely that the drive is physically damaged, more probable that the Windows files may be corrupt.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Daniel00000:
What is the brand name and model name and model number of your desktop?
Does it currently have ONE hard disk drive inside it?
Does it have an empty bay where a SECOND hard disk drive can be installed?
Is it possible for you to submit photos/images of what the inside of the case looks like?

-----------------------------------------------

Daniel00000

You don't see another SATA cable and power connector? If you have a SATA optical drive, you could use that cable temporarily.

It is unlikely that the drive is physically damaged, more probable that the Windows files may be corrupt.
There isn't another SATA cable or second HD in there.

Ya, i agree that its probably just windows corruption. I would really just like the pc to recognize the laptops HD as an external HD so i can transfer data over to it.

Daniel00000

Daniel00000:
What is the brand name and model name and model number of your desktop?
Does it currently have ONE hard disk drive inside it?
Does it have an empty bay where a SECOND hard disk drive can be installed?
Is it possible for you to submit photos/images of what the inside of the case looks like?

-----------------------------------------------
Its a thirdwave corporation Prime and Diginnos. Ive never heard of it before. Got it secondhand from a friend who moved and couldnt take it.

It has one HD and Ive never had a computer with more than one so Im kind of clueless about that.

Here is the pic, and wow it needs a good cleaning.

Attachments

Daniel00000

I found a program that does data recovery but it costs 80 bucks. If there is no other choice I will do that. But I cant help but feel like there is probably some really simple solution I am missing.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Capture.JPG

That desktop has a single 3.5" hard disk drive in it, but it appears it can accommodate as many as 4 of them.
The all-black cable connected to it is the DATA cable, and the multi-wire colored cable connected to it is the POWER cable.
The DATA cable is connected on the other end to one of the motherboard's SATA ports.
The POWER cable is connected on the other end to the power supply unit.
You can trace their paths by seeing where they go.

To connect the 2.5" hard disk drive from the laptop inside the desktop, you will need another DATA cable.
The desktop should already have another available POWER cable and connector.
Connect the laptop's 2.5" hard disk drive to both cables, then lay it on top of the desktop's 3.5" hard disk drive.
Place a piece of foam or bubble wrap or something else to keep both drives from being in direct contact with each other.

If all goes well, the laptop's 2.5" hard disk drive will be detected when you start the desktop and load its Windows operating system.
Hopefully, you will then be able to retrieve your personal data from it.

-------------------------------------------------

As you already said, the inside of your desktop is very clogged and coated with dust and debris.
I'm surprised it hasn't overheated and hasn't noticeably slowed down in performance or bogged down.
It needs a good cleaning with an air blower and the disassembly of a few parts.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It looks like you've got a SATA optical drive (CD/DVD). You can unplug the cables from that drive and connect them to the laptop drive. If it works, pull whatever data you can from it. If not, the drive is likely dead.

Daniel00000

If all goes well, the laptop's 2.5" hard disk drive will be detected when you start the desktop and load its Windows operating system.
Hopefully, you will then be able to retrieve your personal data from it.

I am a little unclear here. What happens after I connect the SATA?

Daniel00000

It looks like you've got a SATA optical drive (CD/DVD). You can unplug the cables from that drive and connect them to the laptop drive. If it works, pull whatever data you can from it. If not, the drive is likely dead.
I am pretty sure the drive is still good. Whats the risk to the drive doing this? Ive never set up a second HD before

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
No risk. It will be connected to a computer, just as it was when it was connected to the laptop. In this case, though, it will not be your primary (boot) drive. It will probably be drive D:.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online