1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop HD problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boy, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boy

Boy Thread Starter

My Sony FX215 has been broken due to some HD failure. I replace it with a Fujitsu Universal HD for Laptops (60gb).

So now, I'm supposed to put in a new OS on it, right?
    I try the XP CD but after it starts up, something about a partmgr.sys error comes up. The error pops up during the beginning of the loading. I don't have a chance to partition it or something.
    Here is a link that describes it.
    http://www.v2premier.com/techsuppor...Support Center/9/1/2/307/748/0000748-0000.htm

I manage to get a copy of 98 boot disk and boot that. I follow the steps to format it. I press the power button to restart (that is the way to restart right? i mean you don't type something in DOS), I type in "format c: /s" and another error comes up saying, Format is not supported in C drive.

What is wrong?

There IS a Fujitsu Disk Manager type thing but it is like $15 which is outrageous since I already paid $200 for this HD.

2. mobo

mobo

Has the drive been partitoned with fdisk before trying format ? Also just try format c:

3. Boy

Boy Thread Starter

Yes, I already tried that.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Use Fdisk to remove ALL partitions - use Option 5 to view any partitions. Then boot with the XP CD - let the XP CD do the partitioning.

Or

Also try using Fujitsu's Erase Utility to erase the drive completely: http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/

Then just use the XP CD to partition and format.

Does the laptop recognise the drive's full 60Gig? ie. In the BIOS and FDISK/Format?

5. Boy

Boy Thread Starter

I will try the Erase Utility in a bit but it's a brand new HD so what else could there be on it?

And for the XP CD...read the first post.

6. mobo

mobo

Not really sure whats going on here but after doing about 20 minutes of reading google searches it seems that your problem is not the first of its kind and none of the other users could fix it as well but exchanged the drives and things worked.

7. Boy

Boy Thread Starter

Are you saying I should but another HD from the one I just bought?
    -_-;

8. mobo

mobo

Exchange it if you have a warranty.

9. Boy

Boy Thread Starter

Man, is exchanging really the only way into this?
    I hate the fact that I have to pay for one of Fujitsu's software...makes me want to pirate it but that'll be pretty damn hard to find...grr..

10. mobo

mobo

I would like to be in the position to tell you otherwise but I cannot even find someone who corredted that problem before aside from replacing the drive. If you just bought it then you should be able to bring it back and get another one...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice