1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop HD Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by franzvillaman, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franzvillaman

franzvillaman Thread Starter

I would like to improve my Lenovo 3000 series storage capacity while keeping it fully mobile. Thus I'm
    researching for a hasle free HD replacement. The choose of my election is Toshiba new HD MK7559GSXP.
    The current HD is Toshiba MK1234GSX.
    Both are of exactly external dimensions. The difference, to my humble knowledge is the INTERFACE:
    The old one's ATA 7; the new one's ATA 8. Does it matters?

Can someone out there be of any help?

Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I never heard of ATA 7 or ATA 8. Where are you getting these specs?

You don't have to buy a Toshiba hard drive. You can buy any hard drive with the right interface.

3. storage_man

storage_man

You can find info on the ATAPI specs here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA. But ATA 7 vs ATA 8 is a no brainer. ATA 8 is for SSD devices. So If your BIOS ( You should check with Lenovo - I couldn't because you didn't post the model number ) will handle a 750gb which it should, you should be good to go.
    :)

4. franzvillaman

5. franzvillaman

It's a Series 3000 N100

6. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I would get a wd that spins at 7200 rpm for a laptop...the latest models use the same amount of electricity as as the 5400 rpm models.

Many of the solid state drives are over rated and dont have that great of bench marks....Intel however seems to be in the lead in this area and if I went to a solid state drive I would shop intel

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=477

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Be aware that this is a new Advanced Sector Format drive. These drives use a 4KB sector and as seen from drives made by Western Digital that negatively affects performance under older operating systems like Windows XP - there's a misalignment of sectors. WD has provided a jumper setting and a utility to fix this performance/alignment issue for Windows XP, I do not know what Toshiba's solution is. For newer operating systems such as Vista and 7 this is a non issue.

P.S. There's no 'integrity' with staying with a Toshiba drive, any 2.5" laptop SATA will fit and work.

8. franzvillaman

Well, let's say you buy a BMW 5 series with a BMW made engine. Later you decide (no matter it's true or not) your power plant is underpower. Would you you go after an Audi engine or stick to the manufacturer's? That's how I see INTEGRITY. Keeping components genuines...then again it's a world in constant evolution. The name of the game is keeping it up, no matter how!

Thank you so much for the advices

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A card engine is completely different, they are not made to be interchangeable as computer components are. Lenovo use to be IBM, IBM and Hitachi merged their hard drive divisions, and yet they choose to go with a Toshiba drive. Toshiba and Fujitsu, now one for hard drives as well, do not always use their own drives in their laptops. Laptop manufacturers don't even always replace the drive with the same brand under warranty or keep the same brand all the way through a series.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice