1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop HD won't boot. Put into USB enclosure.. Files won't open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KKinSJ, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KKinSJ

KKinSJ Thread Starter

I have one laptop that has been corrupted and will no longer boot. I have since removed the HD and place it in an USB enclosure. I have connected it to another Laptop running xp and have no problem viewing the contents of the drive.

At first I was unable to access the administrators documents, but after booting in safe mode, I changed ownership of the entire drive. At this point I am able to access every folder though I can not open any of the files. Nothing works.. And now I'm stuck.

I need to copy all of the documents onto the second laptop so I can reinstall/reformat the first HD. But it's no use copying files that won't open. It's the cruelest joke... I can see em all...but I can't touch em!

Laptop 1: XP Pro SP2 (corrupt)

Laptop 2: XP Home SP2

Also curious, is there a way to fix the boot issue on the corrupt hardrive while It's connected to the second laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    -Kent

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What happens when you try to open the files?
    Do you get an error?
    Are you using the right program?
    Were the files encrypted?

3. KKinSJ

KKinSJ Thread Starter

The files were not encrypted. I have the appropriate programs for each file type. The problem is with the parent child object relations/permissions. I've actually gone from my initial problem to a whole new one after inheriting the permissions for the external drive. At this point I'm washing my hands of it. But thanks for the follow up. If I happen to decide to reattempt this, I'll return with an update.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is there a reason you need to maintain this complex permissions structures? If not, you can use another account to take ownership of everything, files and folders and subfiles and subfolders all at once.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice