1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop HDMI to TV not working.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sicksicsixx, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sicksicsixx

Sicksicsixx Thread Starter

I have an HP dv3 series entertainment laptop.
    When I first got my 32' polaroid HD TV about a year back, I began using an HDMI cable with the laptop to display it on the TV. It was simple really. Plug-n-play mostly. Just had to switch the input on the tv to HDMI-1.

In any case, last night I had no problem using my laptop with the HDMI to TV and it worked this morning also. However, last night I accidently pressed something on the remote and suddenly the tv's aspect ratio or resolution changed and my laptop's desktop was all out of wack! The icons were smaller and words were harder to read. Its like they all got shrunk down in size. So I goto my laptops resolution settings and changed it and then changed it back to the previous. NOW I cant even get my laptop to display on my TV!

My girlfriend has the same laptop as I do and when I plug her's in, it works just fine.
    My xbox 360/PS3 both work with the HDMI.

I have used both cables on the laptop, 360, and PS3 and the only one that wont work is the laptop.
    It just says on the TV when I plug it in "Not Support".

Please help! This is madness!

2. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

Could we have the model # on the tv please, if you still have a manual for it that could be helpful also.?

3. Sicksicsixx

Its a : 32" LCD Television with NTSC/ATSC tuners -- Polaroid FLM-3234B

4. Sicksicsixx

Anything?

5. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

i cannot find a manual for this tv, even on the polaroid site. Could you post a clear picture of your remote control for the tv. There must be a button that sync's the resolutions between the tv and the computer, and also a button for aspect ratio. You could also leave the tv unplugged for the night and see if it would reset itself to default settings.

6. Sicksicsixx

7. Sicksicsixx

I have tried changing the aspects.
    The aspects supported are : Wide, Zoom, Normal, and Full

I have cycled through them all and still nothing.

8. Sicksicsixx

9. Sicksicsixx

**Update**

Okay, I went so bold as to just restore my laptop back 2 days.
    Since I am running windows 7 x64 I was able to choose a date that suites me.
    So restored back to the 25th since that was the date where only a "critical update" was done.

I plug in the HDMI, choose "HDMI-2" on my input and viola! Laptop on TV!

HOWEVER!

My screen resolution is still fubar.
    It seems when I change my "projector" settings that are built into windows 7 for displaying laptop or desktops on TV's, from "Projector Only" to "Duplicate" is becomes very clear. Just like I had it.
    But when I change it back to "Projector only", everything gets very blurry and all my folder or file names get really small and squished together.

Before having all these problems, I was able to have "projector only" enabled with the clean crisp clarity I am getting with the "duplicate" option.

10. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

you will probably need to hit the tv or aut button to get back to hdmi 1, i will examine closer later, time for me to leave work now.

11. DariusSupport

DariusSupport

is there any reason why you don't want to use duplicate if it works as wanted?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice