1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop HDMI to tv stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by serenityzero, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serenityzero

serenityzero Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm sorry, I'm somewhat technologically impaired. I've been connecting my tv to my laptop via HDMI cable for several years and it's always worked fine. Today when I tried, the screens just turned back. My TV stopped saying no signal as if it recognized the computer, and the computer screen went black as if it were switching to the TV, but neither of them actually worked. I tried to go into my display settings to connect to a projector which I have had to select in the past, but it says no additional display was detected. When I tried to tell it to do it anyway, the laptop screen started turning on and off every few seconds so it was black, then back to my desktop, then black again.

The really wonky part is that when I tried starting up the computer with the HDMI cable already attached, it showed the windows startup and password screens on the TV as if it were working properly--but as soon as it loaded up the desktop it started turning the screen on and off again until I disconnected the HDMI.

I haven't changed any settings on my computer recently--the only new thing I've installed are some games off Steam. Something crazy's going on with my computer that has never happened before, could someone please help?

-Shauna

PS: This image should have the info for my computer please let me know if you need any other information

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Verify the screen resolution and refresh rate.

Aside from that, try manually updating or reinstalling the laptop video drivers. The drivers should be available from the laptop manufacturers website (and are the only recommended drivers which should be used).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice