1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by madapple, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madapple

madapple Thread Starter

I have a dell inspiron e1505 that I am having trouble with. When i try and turn it on, the battery light and the three lights above the power button turn green for a couple of seconds, but then they turn off and nothing happens. The laptop doesn't start, but I can hear some noise and I don't know what it is. I have a feeling the problem lies with the motherboard, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. Also sorry if this didn't post to the correct forum; | am new here.

2. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

madapple-
    Start at the wall outlet, and make certain the electrical outlet has power (eliminate power strips, etc.), for example, a lamp, or even the light on the Power Adapter, if it has one. Disconnect electrical power, and locate the Status button on the Battery. Press it. Each light that lights indicates 20% of the battery charge available. A working,charged battery should display at least 3 bars. Remove the Battery, reconnect external power after you verify it does exist, and try turning it on again. If it works, shut off, disconnect power, reinstall battery and try again. You do not need the battery to use the laptop, you need the battery to use the laptop without external power. See where this leads, and let us know.

3. madapple

madapple Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't mean the actual battery; I meant the light on the laptop indicating that it is turning on or charging. The three other lights are also on the laptop right next to each other; they normally flash green when the computer is turning on or returning from sleep mode. The laptop does not run at all. I have taken the battery out and tried only on the charger, but that didn't work. I have tried another battery and when I put that one on only the single light blinks, but it flashes green for a second the goes to a constant amber until I let go of the power button. I have disassembled the laptop and dusted the inside, but that has done nothing. Once again thanks for your help... sorry I wasn't more clear in the first post.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Can you try a different charger ?

5. madapple

madapple Thread Starter

I don't have access to another charger, but I will try and find one.

6. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

You were quite clear on the first post, which is why the procedure to both verify the battery and take it out of the loop as a possible cause. A different charger is a good next step. Following that reseating the memory. If 2 modules are in use, removing 1 and trying each in slot A. How to can be found on YouTube, and is risky. A repair shop can check both the power and the RAM in a few minutes which is recommended.

7. madapple

madapple Thread Starter

I reset and swapped the memory, but no luck. Now no matter what battery I use when I turn it on the three lights hold green for a couple of seconds then they go out. The light by the battery connect does the same. If I put my ear to the laptop I can hear a faint whizzing while the lights are on, but it dies out when the lights fade.

8. madapple

madapple Thread Starter

I tried the charger on another laptop and it worked fine. Where should I go from here?

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would assume that theres some kind of power supply problem somewhere and i would have it looked at and go from there.then you will know for sure.

10. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

Repair at this point is risky and should be referred to a repair shop. There is a possibility the power jack on the laptop is loose or has failed, perhaps just requiring soldering, or something more serious, which they can determine.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice