1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kerri Ann, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

soyo pw9800
    i need help with the external cdrom drive. trying to figure out if it works-
    im in the bios right now. Rom PCI/ISA Bios, in the cmos setup menu- and i see that the external master(the cdrom drive i assume) is set at auto- but all the values are at zero. is it supposed to say that? my hdd is detected- all the values are there... i'm so lost...

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Can you use the CD. The CD drive does not have those same numbers you are talking about(heads sector etc) but should still work.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start at the beginning. Since this is an external drive, how is it connected to the laptop? If it's a USB device, I don't think you'll find any reference to it in the BIOS.

4. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

it's not usb- i'm not really sure what it is,..oh ok, it's a pcmcia slot.

5. JohnWill

Most PCMCIA attached devices are only sensed when the O/S loads the driver for them, I don't think you'll see it in the BIOS. Try booting windows and looking in Device Manager.

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

well, that's where i'm having the problem... I need to install windows. I did a format on the hdd, because something was wrong with it before.

7. TheDJK

TheDJK

I had a similar situation getting Win98 onto an old P120 laptop... no CD-ROM. I had to remove the hard drive, add it as a 2nd drive in another system (either a laptop with a spare HD bay, or a desktop with a 2.5-to-3.5 IDE converter), then copy the Windows install files from the CD into their own folder on the HD . Once I put the drive back into the laptop, I booted from a Win98 floppy, and installed from the HD. Benefits: (1) the HD install was way faster than a CD install would've been, (2) any future installs (drivers, etc.) that require the Win98 CD can be done from the HD, (3) the Win98 setup files took up less than 1GB on the 8GB drive, so I had plenty of space left.

Hope this helps.

8. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks thedjk, i'm so glad you said that, i now have two laptops with the same problem. (people think i'm some sort of computer wiz, so they all come to me with their pc problems- little do they know that it's this forum that helps me with more than half of it!)

thanks guys!

9. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

ok- i know now what i need to do. i need to install DOS drivers for the pcmcia cdrom to work. that way i can install windows from the cdrom drive- which makes this alot easier than i had thought it would be.
    so now i need someone to point me in the right direction to find these dos drivers... anyone have an idea of where i can find them?

10. TheDJK

TheDJK

When in doubt, search Google. Here's what I found under "card and socket services":

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_pccards&message.id=3623
    Read this first. This page, although specific to a Dell Latitude, could provide some useful direction in your search.

ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles/pctpisds.exe
    Download for IBM's Card & Socket Services for DOS. Loads necessary drivers for Thinkpad PCMCIA access under DOS. May or may not work for you... but might work if you can load IBM PC-DOS on the laptop (just a thought).

http://www.microflextech.com/support/downloads/soyo/Default.htm
    Includes DOS drivers for a few CD-ROM drives for that model laptop (although I don't think those are PCMCIA drives). This site could be useful once you get Windows reloaded on the PC.

11. pfizzle

pfizzle

I vote for TheDJK's suggestion. It might be easier to get one of these Notebook Hard Drive Converters

Put the laptop HD as a slave into a desktop:D
    Copy the Win98 folder from Win98 CD to the laptop HD:D
    Put HD back into laptop:D
    Boot laptop with bootdisk:D
    Start setup.exe from inside Win98 folder:D

This may be easier as long as the laptop drive is easy to access:D

12. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

thanks. i've been to that last site, and you're right, it's not for pcmcia cdrom drives, it's for ide...
    i think ive found the right ones- cardsoft. i just don't know how to install them now that i have them. do i create a floppy, kinda like how you create instead of copy one for bootdisks?

13. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann Thread Starter

oops, sorry pfizzle, i didn't see your post....
    i had thought of that, except i wasn't sure if there was such a thing that could hook up the hdd to my desktop....
    i wonder how much those run for?

14. JohnWill

I checked the other day, and 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE adapters were $5 including shipping on www.pricewatch.com It's a handy thing to have around if you're going to be dealing with laptops... :)

15. TheDJK

TheDJK

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice