1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moonart55, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonart55

moonart55 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop 1805-S274 which I "inherited" from my husband when he upgraded. Everytime I start it up, my screen goes black- can't see the screen or the mouse curser. If I push the button on the top right that signals I'm closing the computer before it is off (sorry, I don't know all the terms), it will flash back on for a second then black again. This goes on until I'm on the net for a few minutes. After I get it back to full color (I have to lightly tap the plastic frame around the screen a few times), all it does is flicker every few seconds but stays lit- like a bulb that is trying to go out. What is going on? Is this a case of light that won't stay lit? I can make out what screen it is on when it goes black, but In can't see the curser at all and it is way too dark to navigate the screen. It doesn't matter if I log off or turn the computer fully off- it happens whenever there is a long break in the action on the screen. Thanks for your help. in advance.

2. WarC

WarC

If the flickering occurs when you lightly touch the screen, then more than likely there is an issue with the backlighting of the LCD screen. Either the light is going out, or the connections are loose.

It is possible to replace the backlight as well as the LCD screen...Although, from the sound of it, the screen itself is fine.

There are various how-to guides on the 'net concerning the replacement of the backlight.

It is actually a relatively simple process, the hardest part is not losing the 12-24 tiny screws you'll need to pull off the laptop inorder to disassemble it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice