1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Marge1, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marge1

Marge1 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am having trouble with my HP laptop. It is about two years old. I was using it fine the other day on Jan. 7th. When I went to turn it on today a blue screen popped up before the desktop was finished loading and said it had been shut down to protect data.

I then tried restoring to 2 previous dates through safemode and it is sill not working. It keeps restarting itself. Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does it stay in safemode or restart ?
    goto
    control panel>
    system>

for Vista - advanced system settings > - link on left hand side

startup and recovery - settings>
    under the title - system failure
    untick - automatically restart

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299

now when it crashes - it willnot restart and the blue screen should stay on the screen
    post the info on the screen
    it will give the errorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

3. Marge1

Marge1 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help!

It does not restart in safe mode.

The technical information I recorded:

STOP:0X0000007E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0XFFFFFA6015C5F700, 0XFFFFFA60021E0648, 0XFFFFFA60021E0020)

SRTSPL64.SYS-ADDRESS FFFFF A6015C5F700 BASE AT FFFFFA6015COCOOO, DATESTAMP 48ED2500.

Any advice on how I should proceed or what these mean?

Thanks again,
    Marge1

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have norton (Symantec) on the PC
    srtsp64.sys is a Symantec Auto Protect driver.
    sounds like Norton may be corrupt - when you run in safe mode - Norton is not enabled

do you have a full version of Norton on the machine that you have paid for - make sure you have the installation media and any keys to re-install
    If not , I would uninstall from save mode and also use the norton removal tool -
    Norton Removal Tool
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Theres mention of a hotfix, but i could not find it on the norton site

5. Marge1

Marge1 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help. I do have symantec endpoint protection. It is a required download of my university before we can connect to the wireless network. I went in through safe mode and was unable to "uninstall" because it said that windows installer could not be used in safemode.

I then went into msconfig and regedit and manually set the symantec to not start when I booted in regular mode. (Does this make sense? I am not sure of the technical terms). It started fine and I entered the control panel in my regular start mode and uninstalled the symantec program here.

Do you think if I reinstall it, the same problem will occur?

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate it!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did it resolve the issue?

Yes, There is a hotfix supposed to be available
    I would talk to the Uni IT people - they must have seen this loads of times at the UNI

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!