1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop hibernates by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenteadragon, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greenteadragon

greenteadragon Thread Starter

Hello,

A few days ago my laptop starting suddenly hibernating all by itself. I was watching a movie and using Microsoft Word at the same time. Suddenly, the screen went black (still sound though) and a minute later it shutdown. I thought it crashed, but when I pushed the power button it said, "Resuming Windows". It has since happened several more times.

-It was plugged in and the battery is fully charged

Time for a new laptop?

Thanks!

2. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

First check your power settings and make sure that the setting for hibernation/sleep mode is turned off while power is plugged in.

3. greenteadragon

greenteadragon Thread Starter

It's set to never sleep (both battery and plugged in). In the advanced power settings it's set to hibernate after 360 minutes of inactivity. I was actively using Word when it hibernated the last time. Any else to check?

4. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

Try checking your bios to see if it is set to shut off when it overheats.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice