1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop home networking won't file share

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gyro, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

HI,

I have 2 home desktops and 1 work laptop which I'm trying to set up on a home network. All the operating systems are XP. I managed to set up the 3 computers to receive high speed internet via a Router. However, only the 2 desktops are able to file share. In Network Places for the laptop, there is no other listed drives.

Could this be due to the fact that at work I use Novell 4.83 to network? At bootup, the laptop has been configured to stop and ask me for a password for Novell but when I'm at home, I usually bypass this by choosing "Work as workstation only". I have tried unchecking the Novell client driver under my LAN properties to no avail. I have also made sure my Internet Connection Firewall is disabled. Does anyone have any other suggestions without having me to uninstall Novell which is mandatory for work? The Novell website doesn't list any conflicts in their knowledgebase with Microsoft Network.

Need help fast. Thanks in advance.

Also one more simpler question: how do I print webpages so that the far right borders do not get cut off?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you checked the usual suspects, workgroup name, file and print sharing installed, etc?

As far as printing web pages, I sometimes print them in landscape mode when they won't print properly in portrait mode.

3. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

Thanks Johnwill. Yes, I made sure they were all on the same workgroup, different computer names and descriptions, and used network wizard on all three. The 2 desktops have no problem file sharing, accessing printers, sharing internet. Just the laptop seems not to recognize the other computers on the net to file share YET shares internet. The internet firewall on the laptop is disabled.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice