Laptop IDE #1 error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mike5426

Help! I booted up my laptop just recently and I noticed that the CD/DVD drive did not work. It did not open or spin any disks. I went to my computer and it did not appear. I went to device manager and it did not appear. I rebooted and noticed right when the screen poped up and before windows started that it says "IDE #1 error".

So there is definetly a problem with the cd drive...I tried opening up the laptop and blowing out all the dust from the computer to adapter and adapter to CD/DVD drive connections.

I then rebooted and still got the error. However, I noticed that when I pressed the open drive button before windows starts the drive opens. This is really weird because I still get the ide error and windows will not even let me open the drive. I don't remeber if I could open it like that before I opened up the computer...

So what does it sound like the problem is? Is it the motherboard? If so it is 7 years old and ready for the garbage. Is it the adapter/connector thingie? I am sure I could replace that...Or is it the disk drive?

Edit: And yes, the drive is enabled in the BIOS...

mike5426

Should I try buying a new notebook hard drvie for the hell of it and see if that works?

"Should I try buying a new notebook hard drvie for the hell of it and see if that works?"
No. Why should a new hard drive fix a problem with a cdrom? If anything you should try a different cdrom drive, It sound like the one you have is shot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online