1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop in order to get highest upload speed

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by notatechi, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notatechi

notatechi Thread Starter

I have a feeling this thread is the wrong place!

I am trying to set up an internet connection to get the highest upload speed and reliable speed.

Have settled for an internet package that provides wirless N router and unlimited internet usage.

Now I have to buy a good laptop that has the ability to connect to the n class router. I of course want the laptop to be able to provide the fastest upload speed.

I have found a toshiba intel 7 that has a 802.11 bgn. Would this connect to the wireles n class router, and would it be a good laptop for gaming?

Any other suggestions/recommendations for a fast upload connection would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi notatechi, and welcome to TSG.

Unless you are paying for some extremely fast Internet connection, your upload speed is most likely going to be limited by your Internet connection and not your local network connection of type of computer. Typical residential broadband service is usually advertised by the fast download speeds, while upload speeds are a fraction of the download speed.

I believe the maximum speed for an 802.11n connection, per the original standard, is something like 150 Mbits/sec. The 802.11n standard has been revised a few times and the limit may be more like 600 Mbits/sec. these days.

A computer that supports an 802.11bgn connection means that it can connect to a wireless access point (router) that uses 801.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    notatechi:

If you can advise us what the name of your Internet Service Provider(ISP) is and what "package" you've subscribed to, we can determine what the advertised upload/download speeds are that you're paying for.

You seem to be focused more on upload speed and less on download speed. What is your intent with that new laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Without even knowing any further information, I will state that if your current download speed is faster than your upload speed, then your restriction is NOT your PC or network, it is your ISP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!