1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Integrated Mouse Drivers Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aedaren, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aedaren

aedaren Thread Starter

Hello All!

I'm working on my toshiba tecra 9000. It's a great laptop with a really stupid problem.

The laptop has a little joystick mouse in the middle, much like the thinkpads or armadas often have. Often this mouse only lets me move to the right and left (not up or down). The device manager says I'm currently on the "Standard PS/2 Port Mouse" driver. Has anyone had a similar problem? What can I do?

What I've Tried
    . Reinstalling the driver: didn't do anything
    . Waiting: Sometimes it will just decide to work, especially after booting up or coming out of standby ... but just now it starting working for no reason.
    . Changing the driver: I changed it to a different generic PS/2 driver, and it worked perfectly for a day or so, but then one day after I came out of standby, it did the same thing

Other Issues
    . Often, when it does work, it has some calibration issues and will drift slightly.
    . I think it is a driver problem because it does work perfectly sometimes (working right now).

Possible Causes
    . I installed xp professional on it (it had 2000) but it seemed to work for awhile after that
    . We can't remember the first time we plugged a USB mouse into it, I don't know whether that may have caused the problem.

Thanks All! I hope someone has had some experience with this.

-sean

2. aedaren

aedaren Thread Starter

Help! (bump)... anyone with ideas?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I think the device you refer to is colloquailly called the "G spot", as its located beside the G key?

As it worked in one direction, is intermittent or non responsive, I would also suspect hardware as the problem. Driver faults tend to be consistent, hardware tends to be intermittent.

The BIOS should have some reference to it however (I used to disable them in the BIOS as they tended to interfere with typing)

4. aedaren

aedaren Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, it is in the G-spot...

Hardware huh? ... well that's too bad.. I wonder if there's any way to to fix it.

-sean

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could use an external mouse, much easier to use too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice