1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop intel gpu doesn't clock above 200 MHZ

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheDylPickle, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheDylPickle

TheDylPickle Thread Starter

owning a dell latitude e7440, i was expecting to be able to do normal tasks without lagging.
    I was wrong.
    I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, and updated all the drivers to the latest version (Even used a previous graphics driver, and an intellimodded driver without avail), but after a short while of chrome surfing, or light gaming, the frames drop significantly, and usually never go back up until a restart occurs (sometimes that doesn't work either).

What I realize from this is that the intel GPU was stuck at 200 MHZ after a short while, and will never go beyond that frequency.

thru my little research, I've found out that my CPU had a 15 watt power limit, and would throttle after a while of pushing the cpu past 15 watts.
    however, whenever the cpu and gpu get clocked down, they don't manage to go back up, even when the temps run down to 60-70 and the cpu power wattage is at 9-12W.

How can I release this lock so that the GPU can perform consistently throughout my session?
    Or at least, how can I have the GPU run higher than 200 MHz during anything slightly graphic/cpu intensive? (Non-Demanding Games like League of Legends, or FL Studio, Chrome)

specs:
    core i7 4600U
    12 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
    256 GB SSD

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell Latitude E7440 (support site)
    Have you updated the BIOS to version A25 which was released on March 01, 2018 and is listed as an urgent update?

The Intel Core i7-4600U 2.10 GHz dual core processor is a 15 watts 4th generation model.
    cpu.JPG

According to Intel, that processor has an Intel HD Graphics 4400 integrated graphic device.
    gpu.JPG

That graphic device has a base frequency of 200 MHz and a maximum dynamic frequency of 1.10 GHz.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. TheDylPickle

The BIOS has been updated to A25 when the issue occured.
    I know the base frequency is 200 MHz, but shouldn't it clock up a bit when needed to keep the framerates high enough?

4. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

5. TheDylPickle

6. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

The manufacturer does not recommend overclocking these graphs.
    You do it at your own risk!
    If you choose to do so, you can use the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) -> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/66427/processors/processor- utilities-and-programs / intel extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html? _ga = 2.89933339.1466647026.1527761191-1849976179.1511097714
    (read the instructions carefully and use the experience of other users (eg YouTube).
    However, you must take into account that you can ruin your computer!

7. TheDylPickle

No, that won't do.
    First, I'm using a ULV CPU -> no overclocking for me.
    Second, I can only change the MAX Graphics Clock ratio, which doesn't help in my case because I'm always going to be stuck at the base speeds.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First and foremost you need to understand that your laptop is NOT designed for gaming; it is designed for general office stuff ie running office, email, web access, running spread sheets, etc, etc. Purpose designed gaming laptops have a real video card/chip, heavy duty cooling, large battery capacity, etc.

When you use a part in a manner for which it was not designed, you are almost always disappointed in the performance.
    Since this is a laptop, settings are very restricted in the bios. You have a choice;
    1 Live with it OR purchase a gaming laptop
    2 Find a programmer to mod the bios file so you can set the video speed. Note this is NOT cheap; paying someone to write a custom bios file for you is going to cost hundreds of $

9. TheDylPickle

I guess, maybe I expected too much from this laptop. I didn't know it would underperform in terms of graphics compared to others with the exact same chip :/

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does the CPU run at the correct frequency ? You may have to run something like Prime95 to make it go to full speed. You can check the speed with CPU-Z.

11. TheDylPickle

Tried running it for an hour, but it doesnt seem to do mich

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It forces the Cpu to run at 100% which in turn should make it run at it's maximum frequency, so check the frequency with CPU-Z when Prime 95 starts, to make sure it's not being throttled.

13. TheDylPickle

When I played around w/ it, it goes up to around 1.6 ghz
    But right now I can't even boot it (diff issue), so there's no trying here.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  15. TheDylPickle

Well, since the update, the CPU has been performing as expected.
    I don't experience power limit throttling as much anymore (I let the CPU go up to 1.6-2.7 GHz). The GPU WILL clock up to 600-1100 MHz once in a while, but then it will go back down and stay at 200 MHz for a long while (feels like an indefinite amount of time).
    Checking in XTU, the Package TDP does not reach the Max TDP (Running at 10-13 watts), and none of the throttlings seem to be turned on...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice