Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laptop internal camera and microphone not working

653 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  James321 
#1 ·
The internal camera and microphone has not worked on my laptop since I first got hold of it.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410.

Tried everything. Driver updates on the Lenovo website didn't work.

The camera and microphone are certainly switched to ON in Settings. What can I do?

#2 ·
Same problem when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, remove the Linux Live DVD/USB and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.

#4 ·
Same problem when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.​
To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.​
Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, remove the Linux Live DVD/USB and simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.
Although your suggestion probably would work, it's a bit of a length to go to just to prove it's a hardware issue.

Could this be caused by a Rootkit? There are a number of features in my OS that don't seem to do what you tell them. I have reason to suspect this as I'm attracting unwanted attention at the moment.

However if it is a Rootkit, it's one that is able to avoid detection by Norton Power Eraser, Windows Malicious Software Removal and TDSSKiller.

Norton Power Eraser came back with 3 results after the scan, however NPE warns you in advance that it can sometimes misidentify friendly software as well. The 3 results were 2 items of my astronomy software, Stellarium and Virtual Moon Atlas and the last was a driver in a Windows System32 file. I haven't touched any of these 3 files.

#6 ·
#7 ·
No need wasting time and turning gray with Windows if it is a hardware problem.

If you think you have a rootkit, recommend reading these instructions first. Then start a New thread in the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum.
I don't actually know if it is a Rootkit, I was only asking if it could be.

If you lose control of too many processes in the OS, then logically it is more likely to be a Rootkit than a hardware problem.

#10 ·
After you've been given a clean bill of health from one of our Malware experts, and if you're still having the same problem, feel free to return to this thread and we can pursue some other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.