Laptop is connected to WiFi but not working

Extahsi

I've tried doing everything from cmd commands to resetting the PC. Still connects but browser doesn't work or anything else internet related

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK, so we would need to go through the steps one more time to ensure we get this working.

To confirm, you are showing you are connected to your router/wireless access point, but when you go to a website, it fails? If so, can you confirm what errors the browser is giving you?

in the command prompt, let's make sure your computer is getting the correct IPv4 information. Type ipconfig/all and press enter. We would need the information that is under the Wireless Adapter Wireless Connection. (may be called Wireless LAN Adapter WiFi)

What is the IPv4 Address, Gateway, and DNS information?

Extahsi

OK, so we would need to go through the steps one more time to ensure we get this working.

To confirm, you are showing you are connected to your router/wireless access point, but when you go to a website, it fails? If so, can you confirm what errors the browser is giving you?

in the command prompt, let's make sure your computer is getting the correct IPv4 information. Type ipconfig/all and press enter. We would need the information that is under the Wireless Adapter Wireless Connection. (may be called Wireless LAN Adapter WiFi)

What is the IPv4 Address, Gateway, and DNS information?
I went and bought a netgear wifi adapter. And it connects just fine. But I still can't browse the web and I have it sent to auto for the ip and dns. I'm trying that command now

naresh498

Naresh k
in the command prompt type ping 192.168.1.254 and hit enter, and tell us the results
and also type ping google.com and hit enter, share the results.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In Command Prompt, let's see if your computer can see the internet. Type the following commands (if any fails, it may take a little longer to complete (not more than a minute):

ping google.com
ping 8.8.8.8
ping 192.168.1.254

The first two will show us if the computer can go outside to the internet. If both fail, but the last one shows replies, then the issue may be with the router.

Is the modem also your wireless access point (router)?

Extahsi

In Command Prompt, let's see if your computer can see the internet. Type the following commands (if any fails, it may take a little longer to complete (not more than a minute):

ping google.com
ping 8.8.8.8
ping 192.168.1.254

The first two will show us if the computer can go outside to the internet. If both fail, but the last one shows replies, then the issue may be with the router.

Is the modem also your wireless access point (router)?
The second one and the third one worked. And I think so. It's from at&t

naresh498

Naresh k
So you mean this one didn't work, ping 192.168.1.254

What does it say when you hit enter, can you copy the message and paste it here.

can you confirm?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok the last didn't work
I think the issue may be with the router. The first one indicates you cannot find a website via its name. The second one is by IP, which is used by the computer when it finds the website by name.

So before we go any further, I want to make sure your computer is not redirecting your name resolution.

In command prompt, type :

notepad.exe c:\windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and it should bring up a text file like this:
1591123241059.png

You should have only what is shown here. If you have anything else below the comment line (the ones with #) then notate them here, otherwise this section is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online