1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop is unable to connect to a network through wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lost_Helper, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lost_Helper

Lost_Helper Thread Starter

Hey guys i'm having similar troubles here. friends laptop is unable to connect to a network through wifi. it will connect to internet but only through cable hookup. i can locate my network but when i hit connect (type in correct password) it tries for say 1-2 seconds then says "Windows was unable to connect to *my network*" i know its not my router (i have several things that can connect to my network without problems.) only this laptop seems to have a problem. she has a ralink wifi adapter which is said to be notorious for going bad, but i can neither conform or denai that. i'll list what specs i know how to find and hopefully that will help. any help from you all would be great. also if you need me to post some data could you explain how to find it and the like. thanks.

Specs:
    Windows 7 home premium, service pack 1, HP pavilion g6 notebook, AMD A4-3300M APU with radeon hd graphics 1.90 GHz, 4 GB (3.48 GB usuable) RAM, 64-bit operating system.

Network Adapter:
    Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter
    Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n wifi adapter

let me know what you think please.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do a tcp/ip reset
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7/8
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

For Windows 8
    To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied
    This often occurs with windows 8

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, but what is the brand and model?

4. Lost_Helper

ok etaf, i did all the resets, and then rebooted the pc, after entering what you said to it just said reset computer. after the second two. first one said ok. no error message.
    also the logs, did they put logs on the computer i can copy and paste here?

i tried it first myself the way you said then clicked the microsoft fix it. hopefully this will help.

terrynet
    its a netgearn600 wireless dual band gigabit router WNDR3700v2

hopefully that is the info you need.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    does he see the network OK - the wireless switch is ON ?

can we see an xirrus screen shot
    sometimes the PC is set to only allow US channels 1-11 and the router changes to use European allowed channels 12&13
    OR it may have a problem if the 5Ghz and the 2.4Ghz signals are called the same name

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    ( the site now appears to require a business email, and does not allow webbased emails like gmail,hotmail or yahoo etc )

Use the links below

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here
    http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, thank you. There are a couple routers that seem to play favorites--not allowing some devices to connect, for no apparent reason. That is not one of the problematic ones (as far as I know).

However, I remember that Wayne was working another thread recently in which the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks had the same SSID and a device would not connect. After changing the SSID of one of the networks the device connected.

(Hope I remembered that correctly, Wayne.)

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. Lost_Helper

well i tried to run the program you said to, though the entire time it was running it kept making a beep sound. when i was trying to connect (before i had to insert my password) it would show my ip address saying connecting, then after i entered my password hit enter then it immediately says disconnected and windows says cannot connect. internet.jpg

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    That is the gadget rather than the full program
    see
    DOWNLOAD WI-FI INSPECTOR Vx.xx
    at the top of the list on the right hand side

The gadget does not have as much functionality, and mine does NOT beep at all, so not sure why thats the case on your PC

As you are using WPA2 - can you log into the router and remove the wireless security, see if you can log onto the network with out any security

10. Lost_Helper

internet 1.png ok so ran the program not just the gadget. cant really turn password off, i'm afraid. as you can see i has good strength. i'm sitting a foot a way from the router. i'm stuck to it with a cable.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since "too close" can cause problems whenever you are having trouble connecting the router and adapter should be separated by five or six feet.

No need to "turn password off." Just set the Encryption (or Security) Mode to 'Off' or 'Disabled' or similar.

12. Lost_Helper

so i turned the security off to where anyone could connect. but the laptop took less time to try to connect, then said it could not connect.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be restricted because of MAC Address filtering on the router, but if you used that you probably would have remembered it by now. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

14. Lost_Helper

thing is though this laptop doesnt pick up my neighbor's wireless, only mine. though my laptop does pick up theirs. does that matter? i'm wondering if the Ralink isnt going or already gone bad. your thoughts?

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice