1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop isn't turning on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beta7, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beta7

beta7 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a couple questions:

I am working on a Gateway M305CRV laptop. It will not turn on. When plugged into the wall, the LED light does not come on even indicating that it is getting power. However, the power cord does light its own little green LED light on the box halfway between the wall and the computer. When I push the power button on the computer, nothing happens.

I know my battery is poor. If the battery is completely dead, can the laptop still be powered on by being plugged in?

What are the first few steps I need to take to analyze this problem further?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. zyper95

zyper95

Have you tried removing the battery then try turning it on using just the power cord?

3. beta7

beta7 Thread Starter

Yes I have....that does not work. =\

4. jonny10

jonny10

HI beta7

Might you have lost the “power wire” of your "turn on" button ... check if it has not burnt out with some bad light performance...

Regards

5. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Try wiggling the power cord (especially on the laptop side) and see if you can start up the computer. Even if the battery is bad the laptop should run off the ac adapter (power cord).

6. zyper95

zyper95

The problem could be a AC power port or worse the PSU of your laptop.

7. beta7

beta7 Thread Starter

Well I have recently noticed that when I plug my laptop into the wall, I notice a very faint hissing noise coming from within. This probably isn't good. Any suggestions?

8. zyper95

zyper95

Probably that is a short circuit from your laptop....Better have it check there could be a loose contact.

9. ank

ank

hey, I had a similar problem with an HP. When you plug the adapter into the laptop, do you notice any wiggling of that adapter head, particularly some that you haven't noticed before? If you do experience some wiggling, it could be that there is a loose connection between the DC port and the circuitboard which it is connected to. Usually the DC socket can be re-soldered to resolve the issue, but of course this breaks warranty

10. beta7

beta7 Thread Starter

Well, I'm well out of warranty, so its worth a shot.

I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but not so much with a laptop. Does anyone know any good reference websites for taking one apart?

Thanks for the help everyone.

11. tentenfifty

tentenfifty

Beta, I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my Gateway 6442. After trying all the suggestions, plugging and unplugging, removing battery and long start holds I am about to send it to Gateway and then to the dumpster if they say it is fried. This sucker was exactly one week out of warranty. I will try the internal batter (if I can find it) first. Good luck. Ten

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice