1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Issue with running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akensu, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akensu

Akensu Thread Starter

Hi, so I recently had my screen shattered on my Alienware 17 r4, and currently do not have the means to send it in for repairs. The rest of the laptop is flawless, all the hardware is intact only the screen is broken.
    However, to solve my problem I was attempting to plug it into a tv temporarily to still use it. When I do this I'm met with heavy amounts of lag, freeze frames, etc. (I can't even get past my desktop screen, it freezes for too long)...
    I've plugged this laptop into my screen before and it's worked fine (when the laptop screen itself was fine) but I'm struggling to understand why the screen being broken is leading to performance issues.. please help!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If it has been connected to the same TV
    on the same resolution then IMHO something else besides the actual screen of the laptop has been damaged or partially dislodged = from the impact of whatever shattered the screen

3. Akensu

Akensu Thread Starter

If I take apart the laptop what would I be looking for, a broken or dislodged cable? I opened the bottom and all the hardware was still in place.

4. Macboatmaster

Unless you are proficient in such dismantling do not even think of it
    However basically - I do not know what you see when removing the bottom panel, so I cannot know what hardware you refer to
    https://www.dell.com/support/manual...d51a07-0cdc-41e4-9f46-febe989a15ed&lang=en-us

check the ram is correctly in place and clips are in place
    and I think the wireless card can be checked from there - even if you were not using it, a dislodged component can still cause many problems

What manner of impact shattered the screen

5. Akensu

Akensu Thread Starter

Funny as it sounds, my dog is scared of storms and it jumped into my lap while I was on my laptop during one and stepped on the screen.

6. Akensu

Akensu Thread Starter

Here's some photos

Attached Files:

7. Macboatmaster

However hard one tries - it is well nigh impossible to recommend to you the way to go
    One would suspect the graphics chip on the system board has been damaged or the cable leading to the external monitor port.

Personally I would not even attempt such dismantling on that 17 R4 unless having got a ballpark estimate - unless of course it is covered on insurance - I was going to try only for the reason of the estimate being more than I valued the computer at

One possible try is this
    https://www.dell.com/support/manual...042e85-6e84-4684-8841-31c3ea1a2abe&lang=en-us
    it has I think integrated graphics and a separate graphics chip
    Normally the actual discrete graphics are used on high graphic requirements and when connected to power and the integrated graphics are used when on battery
    If you could get into BIOS you may be able to set which are used.

TRY it with battery only

8. Akensu

Akensu Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help, I know the problem is vague and hard to find. I'll take a look and If that doesn't solve if I'll just have to call it quits I assume. The laptop is a upgraded r4 so it's quite expensive so I may just attempt to send it in.
    Could you please resend me that link so I can try? It seems to of failed.
    Thank you for everything

9. Macboatmaster

Well you have the full service manual I sent you earlier
    The spec was working when I sent it but all it said was
    Table 1. Video specifications. Provides the video specifications of your computer.
    Integrated
    Controller
    • Intel HD Graphics 530
    • Intel HD Graphics 630
    • Discrete
    • AMD Radeon RX 470
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    https://www.dell.com/support/manual...5cda80-4365-44bd-a315-84f646002eae&lang=en-us

but of course that depends on what CPU as NOT all CPU`s have integrated graphics

Akensu likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice