1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keeps dropping Wifi (Moved from Windows 8 forum)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jessy_D01, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

I have a Gateway laptop model NE56R31u with Windows 8. I've had it a little over a year and it has worked fine up until the last few months. First it started taking a while to acknowledge a wifi signal when I would turn my computer on. Where it was instant before it was now taking anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It did this for about the last 3 months. Now, it will completely drop my wifi connection at random. It happens every day and anywhere from every 5 minutes to 3 hours sometimes. I'm sure its not a problem with my router or anything to do with my internet service because it happens at my work as well. I have 8 signals close enough there to show up in my networks and when it drops it, it won't recognize any of them. I have to restart it each time for it to connect again. All of the settings in my network adapter are as they have always been and I checked to see if the drivers may need updated but I have the latest version. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    You say Windows 8 - but is it or has it in fact now been upgraded on the free download from the Store to 8.1

That Gateway if I have the right one came with either an Intel, an Atheros or a Broadcom wireless adapter.
    If you know which it is either from your general knowledge or by checking in Network and Sharing centre - change adapter settings on left pane - then go to the Gateway site
    and select the appropriate download
    Wireless LAN
    AtherosWireless LAN Driver10.0.0.26343.0 MB2013/10/30Download

Wireless LAN BroadcomWireless LAN Driver6.30.223.17014.6 MB2014/02/12Download

Wireless LANIntelWireless LAN Driver15.10.0.1540.1 MB2014/07/07Download

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads

Download and install that the reason is that Windows updates include driver updates and it is not unknown for windows to offer the wrong driver particularly it seems for wireless adapters

When you post back we will investigate further

3. Macboatmaster

Further to the last if you go Control Panel Devices and Printers and right click the computer icon then click, device installation settings you will see that driver updates can be automatically installed by Microsoft Updates.
    If you have the knowledge to find your drivers from the Gateway site or indeed from the manufacturer - driver updates from Microsoft are not always the best idea

What AV do you use please

In view of the way it is behaving - you have checked that the computer is connecting to the correct wireless network I presume.

What settings are being used please for the wireless

Please open cmd prompt
    type
    ipconfig /all

and copy and paste results please to reply

While you are waiting for me to return or someone else to respond - it could well be power saving mode on your adapter

1. Open Power Options by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Power options in the search box, and tapping or clicking Power options.
    2. Tap or click Change plan settings under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the Balanced option is selected, tap or click Change plan settings under Balanced.
    3. Tap or click Change advanced power settings.
    4. In the Power Options dialog box, expand Wireless Adapter Settings, and then expand Power Saving Mode.
    5. In the list that appears next to On battery, tap or click the current setting and select Maximum Performance, and then OK.

4. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

Ok, I hope this helps.

It is a Realtek driver...I updated to Windows 8.1 once but it gave me problems so I factory reset the computer to 8.

For some reason I'm not able to copy and paste from the command prompt. I am positive it has nothing to do with my power settings because I switched it to Maximum Performance because it wasn't wanting to connect back to wifi when I would open and close the lid. That solved the problem. This is a completely different problem altogether because it does it no matter where I am located. I use the computer at work, home, and school and there are problems with each location.

I don't currently use an AV but I never download anything or even surf the web on this computer. I use it mainly offline for school and to log onto my school's website. I never click on pop ups or do anything that would normally compromise my computer.

I don't know the exact name of the part in the computer that makes this work but I was thinking perhaps that has gone bad? I'm going to attach a screenshot of my cmdpromt, if you need information further down that it has not captured, let me know.

Attached Files:

5. Macboatmaster

cmd prompt window
    right click top bar
    edit
    select all
    right click again on top bar
    edit
    copy
    paste to reply please I cannot easily read the image
    SORRY for not including in my first response

PLEASE RUN THE CMD
    ipconfig /all

6. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

Well, I learned something new today :)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\JessyD>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : westell.com
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5cab:95ab:6abe:a77a%16
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.19
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c9f:19b5:f5ff:ffec
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c9f:19b5:f5ff:ffec%18
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.westell.com:

C:\Users\JessyD>

7. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

I only put ipconfig in the one above...oops....here is the one you asked for

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
    (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\JessyD>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jessy
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westell.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC
    I-E NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-68-9D-AD-CC-73
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5cab:95ab:6abe:a77a%16(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.19(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 3, 2015 9:57:38 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 4, 2015 9:57:41 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 203450525
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-2E-B3-0A-20-68-9D-AD-CC-73

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-88-E3-D5-D6-19
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c9f:19b5:f5ff:ffec(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c9f:19b5:f5ff:ffec%18(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.westell.com:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

C:\Users\JessyD>

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You did install or reinstall the latest wireless driver from Gateway's web site, right?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system (since the last time you restored the PC to Windows 8)? Remember, that will probably include any trial version that was on the PC originally.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista through 10.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8 thru 10: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine after all three commands; no need to boot after the 1st and 2nd.

9. Macboatmaster

After trying the suggestion from my good colleague TerryNet
    if it does not work it maybe that we have a situation where the IPv6 protocol is being preferred to the IPv4 and this is the problem

Please post the result of the suggestion by TerryNet and if it is still dropping connection we will try another approach

One aspect that I find confusing is that Gateway as far as I can see do not offer the Realtek Wireless Lan with that computer when Windows 8 was pre-installed - my research shows me that the Realtek wireless card was on that model of computer when Windows 7 was the pre installed software and the download for that is on 7 upgraded to 8

On the download for 8 being the preinstalled system I do not find Realtek wireless only he ones I listed

Additionally if as my colleague says you have gone back to 8 on the installed recovery partition not only should you of course install that driver for 8 but also of course the chipset driver and others for 8.

10. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

Norton was the security suite that came with my computer. I haven't downloaded any other driver from Gateway because honestly I don't know which one I should choose. This computer has always had Realtek since the beginning and when I search for updates it tells me that I have the latest version. I'm not computer illiterate but I don't feel confident enough to just go download one if someone isn't pointing me to the direct link to the one I need.

I just followed the TCP/IP stack repair directions that TerryNet gave above so I will update later today to see if the problem is persisting.

Thanks to both of you!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I couldn't find model NE56R31u on Gateway's site, so I can't give you a link to the driver. The correct wireless driver should be the one for Windows 8 for "Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC."

Why, just to satisfy my curiosity, haven't you upgraded to 8.1?

12. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

Well, I got my answer pretty quick, it was a no go. I did upgrade to Windows 8.1, twice actually. Both times my computer asked me several times if I wanted to and I always opted out. Eventually it would auto upgrade for me. Both times it worked well for a few days and then I would get a solid screen with an error and I can't remember exactly the name of it but it was a common problem. So then I went and disabled the remind and upgrade feature to my computer so it wouldn't happen again.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I assume that means you are still getting the disconnects. Have you found the driver on Gateway's site?

The third thing to try is uninstall Norton and run Symantec's Removal Tool. You can reinstall it, if desired, after testing.

14. Jessy_D01

Jessy_D01 Thread Starter

Ok, I went to Gateway and downloaded Wireless LAN Realtek Wireless LAN Driver 1005.28.1006.2011 19.6 MB 2012/05/14but it is a file folder, I'm not sure exactly what to do. I'm thinking this is probably over my head.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the folder is zipped you need to unzip it.

What does the folder (unzipped if necessary) contain? I'm expecting maybe a few files including a .inf, or maybe several folders for different OSes, or maybe some executables (.exe).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice