1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop keeps freezing!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 2talll, Jan 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

For the last couple days my laptop will just freeze randomly a few times a day. If I’m playing a video when it happens the screen freezes and the sound freezes and I continuously hear a loud buzzing until I do a hard restart.

This was a major problem about 6 months ago, and I spend hours working with HP, Microsoft, etc etc to try to figure it out and they had no idea what to do. It magically fixed itself, I guess with an update of some kind, but now it’s doing it again.

There are a few updates listed but I have no idea which one it would be and how to check. I tried system restores when I happened in the past but with no luck.

Any ideas?? Thanks

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Six months ago you would be running Win 10 v1803. Now if you have done Windows Update bi-monthly regularly, it would have updated to Win 10 v1809. Please confirm this by going to Start and typing in 'winver'

Go to Control Panel > Device Manger . Find your video drive and right click > Update .See if it finds a new driver. Then reboot. And try a video again.

3. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

It says I’m running version1803 (build 17134.524)

Where in device manager would the video drivers be? In the pay there was a “video” tab to find it but all I see is sound, video and game control but there’s no video drivers I see in there.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  4. lunarlander

lunarlander

In Device Manager > Display Adapter

5. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

Found it... there was an update so we'll see if that works. I was thinking it could be the new external hard drive I started using around the same time- left it unplugged all day yesterday and no freezing but woke up this morning to it frozen, so who knows.

6. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

Nope! That didn’t fix it.. just froze again. Ugh

7. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

So I updated the drivers and it worked for a couple weeks. Now, yesterday and today I have the same problem with the laptop freezing. I checked the display drivers and they both up to date. Any other ideas?

8. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Try booting in safe mode and see if the freezing stops. If so, that would indicate software conflicts and you can use the msconfig utility to try to determine which program(s) or service(s) might be the cause. If the freezing continues in safe mode, reboot normally and use sfc /scannow and chkdsk to repair damaged system files and hard drive issues, respectively.

9. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

Thanks. Maybe I’ll try the scanniw and chkdsk first since the freezing is so intermittent it cold be in safe mode for hours or even days. I’m assuming I can do a search to find them if I type it the search box in the bottom tool bar?

Don’t know if this helps, but it dawned on my this morning that the computer seemed to change its own Settings and hybernates/sleeps now when it was set not to. I’ve woken up the last three days to the screen asking for my password when it’s not supposed to. Could that help in figuring out what’s wrong?

10. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Run system file checker from a command prompt. Make sure all your files are backed up first.

"Open Command Prompt from the Run Box. Press Windows+R to open “Run” box. Type “cmd” and then click “OK” to open a regular Command Prompt. Type “cmd” and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to open an administrator Command Prompt."

From the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (with the space between c and /). If it repairs files, reboot and run it again. Chkdsk can be run from a command prompt (preferable) or run from within Windows. From a command prompt, type chkdsk C: /r and hit enter. This may take awhile. Read
    https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/

Regarding the change in your settings, it's not really clear why that's happening. Have you done regular and thorough antivirus and anti malware scans?

11. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

Update...
    The other day the sound froze and I got the annoying buzzing that usually comes along with the screen freezing, but this time the screen didn’t freeze.
    In the task manager the following things were listed as “suspended...”
    Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation
    Under windows processes (there was a blue settings gear) that was listed as system process ‘(null)’

Yesterday there were a number of intel updates and it just froze again this evening.

12. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

It keeps telling me I must be an administrator running a console session. I’ve tried the cotnro shift enter and nothing happens

13. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

14. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

I figured that out eventually but after running scannow for about an hour it stopped and said it couldn’t run successfully

15. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice